It’s official: folks are gettin’ CRAZY with mascara brushes! Some of the biggest names in the biz, like Lancome, Cover Girl and MAC, are coming out with unusual mascara brushes, some that vibrate, and others shaped like miniature plastic combs or corkscrews.
Don’t throw out your old fashioned mascara brushes just yet, but you may want to give one of the newer breed of brushes a try.
Cover Girl’s Lash Blast and Lancome’s High Definicil mascaras sport short, stubby plastic bristles that look futuristic and efficient, while MAC Plushlash and Dior DiorShow supersize things with extra large brush heads and super long bristles.
Bristles in Motion
Beyond simple changes to brush size and bristle shape, some companies are coming out with battery-powered wands with vibrating brush heads. Look out, Harry Potter!
Estee Lauder’s vibrating Turbo Lash ($30) launched two weeks ago (currently sold out online), and Lancome’s much-hyped Oscillation Mascara ($34) arrives this November (but goes on early sale tomorrow for one day only).
An Irrational Fear
I’m careful about the products I’ll use around my eyes. If it emits heat, vibrates or drips (wax — so scary!), I keep it far, far away from my peepers. I can’t lie; I’m afraid I’ll poke an eye out. Maybe someday I’ll get over my clumsiness, but until then I’d rather avoid the inevitable 911 phone call (“Hello? I just poked my eye out with my vibrating mascara wand!”).
Despite my lack of coordination, Lancome’s Oscillation has already garnered rave reviews. The big beauty guns at Allure had very good things to say about it.
I haven’t gotten up the courage to wield it yet, but it is a highly anticipated product. Once you’ve used it, please let me know what you think. Just be careful you don’t poke your eye out.
Although its official launch isn’t until November, Lancome’s Oscillation Mascara will be available for purchase, one day only, on July 31. Find it online and at select Lancome counters nationwide.
- Brea: The Lancome Boutique at the Brea Mall
- Costa Mesa: Nordstrom at South Coast Plaza
- San Francisco: Macy’s Union Square
- Santa Clara: The Lancome Boutique at the Valley Fair Mall
- Miami: Macy’s at the Dadeland Mall
- Atlanta: Macy’s at the Lenox Square Mall
- Chicago: Macy’s on State Street and Bon-Ton at the Yorktown Mall
- Short Hills: The Lancome Boutique at the Short Hills Mall
- New York City: Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale’s 59th Street, Lord & Taylor, Macy’s Herald Square and the Lancome boutique on Columbus Avenue
- Dallas: Dillard’s and the Lancome Boutique at NorthPark Center
- Houston: Neiman Marcus at the Galleria
Crazy Brush Heads
I haven’t gotten on board the vibrating brush head train yet, but I am totally down for mascara brushes with unusually shaped heads.