Don’t tell the rest of my makeup this…but I’ve been showing product favoritism toward highlighting powders lately, as evidenced by the forlorn, shimmery creams and liquids gathering dust in the corner of my office.
Currently docked in the port of my daily makeup bag? The new MAC Hey, Sailor! Highlight Powder in Crew ($29).
High-Light Powder in Crew, $28
The four purple, pink, orange and yellowish beige shades in this superfine pressed powder swirl together seamlessly, creating a combined color that adds a peachy, pinkish beige glow to the skin.
No glitter here! Crew’s pearly sheen glows softly, like light passing through a seashell (very Becca-esque). From some angles, I think it even looks matte.
And second to the snazzy design on the pan, the finish is my favorite thing about High-Light Powder in Crew.
It’s just so forgiving! — unlike highlighting powders super high in shimmer and shine, which can call attention to every single flake and pore on my cheeks. Crew, on the other hand, makes my skin glow without highlighting (pun intended) every imperfection.
It’s a fresh-faced look, like I’ve been tooling around the Bay on a sailboat with Detective Stabler, the wind sweeping my hair as we share guava mimosas and feed each other grapes and cheese.
Mmm…cheese (SIDE NOTE: the non-dairy experiment is not going well).
High-Light Powder in Crew; Powder Blush in Fleet Fast and Launch Away!
Highlights of MAC High-Light Powder in Crew…
- It’s a limited edition product in the new Hey, Sailor! collection
- The stripes aren’t over-sprays; they go all the way to the bottom of the pan (don’t ask me how I figured this out; it was painful!)
- The powders are very pigmented; one layer gives me a fresh glow
- The combined color should show up on most skin tones, and it could probably double as a blush for some guys/gals
- It glides like satin on skin
- The powder looks and feels lightweight, and it applies smoothly and evenly
- Either on both bare or atop foundation, it lasts from 7-9 hours on me
- Guys/gals concerned about large-looking pores might really like this a lot (because I think it has the opposite effect, making pores appear smaller)
Crew might not be flashy enough for sailors seeking bolder looks, but if you prefer subtler shores, consider sailing these waters. 🙂
AVAILABILITY: Available now at maccosmetics.com, and coming May 24 to MAC counters and stores
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A (it does seem a little pricey)
Beep beep! Yeah, toot toot!
My fave Donna Summer song, evah!
R.I.P., Donna Summer. Back when I was in college, whenever I’d drive home from Davis to the Bay, I’d listen to Donna’s greatest hits CD over and over on the two-hour trip.
And I can’t even count how many times my friend Jen and I rocked out to Bad Girls back in high school when we’d cruise around town in her Nissan Sentra (like rock stars!).
Big sigh… Do you have a favorite Donna song?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,