If all makeup collections tell a story, then for me, the new MAC Julia Petit collection starts in a colorful cafe somewhere in the heart of São Paulo.
Our heroine, uber-famous Brazilian lifestyle blogger Julia Petit, is sitting at a table outside with a girlfriend e uma xícara de café. They’re chatting about makeup and cats and laughing and having fun.
Over the course of a couple hours, more friends trickle in, taking seats around the table and ordering coffee and snacks, until every square inch of table space is packed.
That’s how this collection feels like to me. It’s like, all the girls are there, and everyone’s enjoying themselves, and absolutely nobody feels left out.
In the time I’ve spent with the collection so far, I get a strong sense of inclusiveness, like Julia wanted flexible colors that would suit everyone.
From the neutrals in the eyeshadow duos to the blush and the lipsticks, all of them seem very accessible to me, which is to say that there aren’t any crazy-pants blackened forest green eye glosses here (although those certainly have their time and place!).
From the matte browns in the eyeshadow duos, the red lipstick (always a classic), the soft pinkish peach lipstick (do neutral lips ever go out of style? HELL NAW!) and the peachy pinkish bronze powder blush (which should look AMAZEBALLS with or without a tan), I’m also getting a trend-defying ladylike vibe.
That said, there’s still room for bad-girl black eyeliner and a pair of @ss-kicker motorcycle boots. The deep violet matte lipstick adds just enough rebelliousness for gals who like their makeup with an edge.
All three of these lipsticks are wish list worthy. Satiny soft pinkish nude Boca, matte strawberry cream Petite Red and matte deep violet Acai are a saturated symphony of smoothness that would make Fred and Ginger proud.
Same goes for the soft pinkish brown Powder Blush in Linda. Super pigmented, and it lasts all day long on my cheeks (for reference, I have combo dry/oily skin). As for the finish? Swoon city.
At first glance, I think it totally looks like a matte on my skin (so there’s no drama involving my pores, YAY!), but when I look closer…I see a lovely, subtle sheen.
Perfect, because I love the look of glowing skin and cheeks. I think Linda will definitely help in that pursuit.
I’m Team Glowing Skin all the way!
Then there are the eyeshadow duos, which get two paws up from me for their smooth matte finishes and wearability. They’re a good place to start if you’re completely new to eye makeup.
If, however, your eyeshadow situation is fully locked and loaded, you’re likely to already find similar colors in your stash.
And how about Purpurine? It’s a sheer peach Lipglass with pink and gold pearl. Purr-fect for when I’m in the mood for sparkly lips and barely-there color.
Whatever your makeup style (edgy, boho, preppy, classic with a touch o’ trendy), you’re likely to find something to like and wear in this collection. It’s a party, and everyone’s invited. 🙂 Look for it online starting March 12, and at MAC counters and stores March 18.
The MAC Julia Petit collection includes…
- Satin Lipstick in Boca, a soft pink nude. $17.50 US, $21 CDN.
- Satin Lipstick in Petite Red, a strawberry cream. $17.50 US, $21 CDN.
- Matte Lipstick in Acai, a vivid deep violet. $17.50 US, $21 CDN.
- Lipglass in Purpurine, a shimmering sheer peach with pink and gold pearl. $16.50 US, $20 CDN.
- Liquidlast Liner in Wet Road, a black with pearl. $20 US, $24 CDN.
- Eye Shadow X 2 in Morganite, with Lustre Eye Shadow in Sunstoned (a soft pink champagne) and Matte Eye Shadow in Choco Cake (a dark chocolate). $22 US, $26.50 CDN.
- Eye Shadow X 2 in Sagu, with Lustre Eye Shadow in Druzy (a dirty mauve-purple) and Matte Eye Shadow in Black Plum (a deep blackened plum). $22 US, $26.50 CDN.
- Eye Shadow X 2 in Moving Sand, with Lustre Eye Shadow in Noite (a black with pearl) and Matte Eye Shadow in Mumu (a soft nude brown). $22 US, $26.50 CDN.
- Lustre Drops Pink Rebel, a bluish pink with golden pearl. $21 US, $25 CDN.
- Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder Pressed. $28 US, $33 CDN.
- Satin Powder Blush in Linda, a soft pinkish bronze. $24 US, $28.50 CDN.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,