Hey, ladies, TGIF! I’m feeling pretty good today because the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and my hair is somewhat under control. 🙂 It looks like it’s gonna be a great Friday.
This morning I was itching for some light, springy colors to reflect my mood, so I busted out the new Sonia Kashuk Freshness of Spring ($20) makeup palette and went to work.
The palette contains seven coordinating pink and purple products for eyes, lips and cheeks:
- A matte pink eyeshadow
- Matte purple eyeshadow
- Light pink glitter eyeshadow
- Creamy reddish pink lipstick
- Creamy rosy pink lipstick
- A sheer light pink gloss
- Matte light pink blush
Sonia even throws in some instructional cards describing how to create her “Freshness of Spring” look.
I liked the lipsticks and glosses right off the bat but was a little wary of the eye and cheek colors. They looked tres pastel to me, and pastels can look “Hello, chalky!” on girls with tan/brown skin.
From left to right: matte pink eyeshadow, pink glitter eyeshadow, matte periwinkle eyeshadow, pink blush
From left to right: creamy reddish pink lipstick, light pink lipgloss, creamy rosy pink lipstick, light pink eyeshadowÂ
After playing around with the products for a few minutes (that’s the *best* part, right?), the pastels proved to work better than I’d thought they would, actually flattering my skin tone, yay!
A few quick notes…
- The eyeshadows feel finely milled and blend easily, but it took me some time to build up the color to where it really showed. If you’re lighter than I am, that may not be an issue for you, but if you’re darker get ready for some serious layering.
- The blush applies more pigmented than the shadow does, and three layers produced a flattering, flushed rosy cheek.
- The lipsticks and gloss totally rock! Think uber-pigmented, with a faint brown sugary taste and scent that disappears quickly.
Straight up, I like this palette a lot.
Whoever came up with the color story had a clear plan in mind. The shades are coordinated to work together, and the instructions are easy to follow.
My one small issue?
If I could, I’d ask Sonia to add an eye base to wear with the shadows (I ended up using MAC Painterly Paint Pot with this look).
Sonia Kashuk Freshness of Spring Palette
Use: A budget-friendly makeup palette with pink and purple shades for lips, eyes and cheeks
Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: B+
Seven products for $20 averages out to about $3 each, which is a total steal in my book. If you’ve been wanting to put together a pretty spring look and get your feet wet with a few purples and pinks, this release could be just what you’ve been looking for.
You might like the Sonia Kashuk Freshness of Spring Palette if…
- …you look good in light purple and pink colors,
- …you prefer to have all of your eye, lip and cheek makeup in one coordinated package,
- …you dig drugstore bargains.
I’m so glad the weekend is almost upon us! Tonight I’m heading to San Francisco to have dinner with my two BFF’s, J-Money and C-Money. It’s been too long since I’ve had some quality girl time, so I can’t wait. I dunno where we’re eating yet, but if the restaurant is any good I’ll let you know.
How are you feeling today? Are you beat from this week or rearing to go?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,