Well bake me biscuits, and cover me in gravy!
[Sorry, I’ve been re-watching True Blood: Season 1]
Now here I go being all wrong about bronzers… I always thought they were for adding a warm, almost-tanned look to skin. Not true, says Physicians Formula, or rather, that’s not all they can do.
New Healthy Wear Bronzer gives a sun-kissed glow but couples it with healthful skin benefits.
The new line of powdered bronzers includes four $15 shades — pricey for drugstore makeup — but PF claims that’s because you get a bunch of bells and whistles with ’em too:
- SPF 50: As in non-greasy, mineral-based (titanium dioxide, zinc oxide) SPF 50 sunscreen to keep you aging gracefully
- Antioxidants: To help repair UV damage
- Skin brighteners: Namely licorice extract and tomato derivatives, to brighten skin and diminish the appearance of sun/age spots
So, how do they do ya?
Well, I’ve been using the Medium shade (a warm, orangey brown with a dainty shimmer) for about a week, which is probably not enough time to gauge much beyond the makeup’s appearance. I can’t say I’ve seen signs that the good-for-your-skin stuff is working, but I do think the shade itself gives my skin a lovely natural glow.
More notes on the “makeup” of the makeup…
- Texture: Fast absorbing, finely milled and soft. Based on touch it, it could pass for department store bronzer
- Wear time: Once it’s on, it’s ON. Water-resistant and absorbs oil fantastically
- Flexibility: As far as the Medium shade, it’s a touch darker than my NC35 skin, which has made it great for subtle contouring, and when the sun’s out every day in the summer, maybe it’ll work as an all-over face powder, too (OOH!).
- Packaging: Orange and hot pink? I mean, come on! Even writing the words makes me grin.
The jury’s out on whether or not Healthy Wear’s healthy benefits justify the higher-than-usual drugstore cost, but as a straight-up bronzer, I think it works pretty darn well. Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: B+
OMG! OMG! OMG! Please say I’m not the only one crazy stoked about the season premiere of Glee tonight?? I’m counting down the minutes (every one of them!).
How was your Tuesday? I hope it passed without too much drama.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,