Do you remember being an eyeshadow virgin?
I do. I remember it like it was yesterday, standing helpless and confused at makeup counters in front of rows of eyeshadow pans.
If I’d only had something versatile like the new NARS Modern Love palette ($50) back in the day, I could have saved myself a lot of trial and error.
First row from left to right: Alhambra, Jezebel, India Song. Bottom row from left to right: Tokyo, Habanera, Pandora
Exclusive to Nordstrom stores, the palette comes with a mix of shimmery neutrals, sexy, sparkling plum and a sprinkling of basic brown and black.
- Alhambra: shimmery peachy pink
- Jezebel: shimmery reddish brown
- India Song: shimmery golden brown
- Tokyo: shimmery silver
- Habenera: shimmery plum
- Pandora: matte black
I love the shades themselves, but what I adore most is that they’re all together in the same place. It’s a well-coordinated eye palette with serious potential.
Alhambra, Jezebel, Indian Song
Warning: This palette may cause semi-pervy outbursts like “Haaay, give it to me!” or “Come to mama!”
After seeing the colors swatched, I pictured a few possible looks…
- A neutral eye with soft black liner: Pat Alhambra (a shimmery pink) over the entire eye lid. Then, sweep India Song (a shimmery brown) into the crease, finishing by lining the upper lash line with Pandora (matte black) applied dry.
- A neutral eye with dramatic black liner: Follow the steps above with Alhambra and India Song, but for the liner, use a wet, stiff-angled brush like the MAC 266 on the upper lash line, drawing a thick black line using Pandora along the lashes.
- Easy purple eye: Apply Habanera (the shimmery plum) from the lid up into the crease. Line the lower lash line with either Alhambra (shimmery pink) or Tokyo (shimmery silver).
- Simple day eye: Pat Alhambra (shimmery pink) or Tokyo (shimmery silver) over the entire eyelid. Line both the upper and lower lash lines with either India Song (shimmery brown) or Pandora (matte black), applied either wet or dry.
- Easy smokey eye: Line both the upper and lower lash lines with Pandora (matte black), and smudge Jezebel (shimmery reddish brown) on top.
Tokyo, Habanera, Pandora
I love Modern Love’s flexibility. Every single color in this palette brings a bunch of different looks to mind.
NARS Modern Love Palette
Use: A versatile eyeshadow palette (six colors) for a wide range of looks.
Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: A
Whether you’re a seasoned eyeshadow junkie or a BAT (beauty addict in training), NARS Modern Love brings a lot to the table.
All of the NARS Modern Love swatches
You might like the NARS Modern Love Palette if…
- …you’re new to eyeshadow and struggle to pick coordinating colors,
- …you like flexible palettes able to create a wide range of eye makeup looks,
- …you’re planning a trip and only want to bring a single eye palette with you.
Stop me before I press play
Yesterday I managed to check off quite a few things from my to-do list, so I rewarded myself with some new music from iTunes.
Have you heard of Estelle? She’s a British R&B singer who did a catchy duet with Kanye last year called American Boy. I got her CD, Shine.
I love it! Think R&B, reggae and funky dance songs. I’ve had it looping for hours.
Do you have any music recommendations for me? I’m always looking for new stuff.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,