If you’re a budget-lovin’ babe who wears cool-toned shadows well, Sonia Kashuk’s got your back. Her new Starry Eyes Palette ($15) for holiday 2009 comes with six cool-toned powder eyeshadows in a mix of glitters and matte.
Exactly what’s inside?
- A shimmery brown with glitter
- Shimmery beige with glitter
- Shimmery taupe with glitter (fans of MAC Satin Taupe eyeshadow, this shade looks like Satin Taupe’s glittery cousin)
- A matte brown
- Matte white
- Matte taupe
I’ve been going through a glitter renaissance of late, and the glitter shadows in this palette are hitting all my right notes. You know how some glittery shadows are just too sheer? How all you can see sometimes is the glitter (but no color)? Well, these aren’t like that at all. All three deliver respectable pigmentation — a nice surprise for gals on Team Glitter.
Speaking of the glitter, I expected it to feel gritty here based on how chunky the bits look in their pans.
But that wasn’t the case. In fact, the particles appear fine — just right, in fact — once they’re applied.
It adds up to a very refined glitter look, if there is such a thing.
Swatches with flash
Swatches without flash
Breaking it down…
- The buttery matte shadows blend surprisingly well
- The mix of colors makes sense to me, and I can see how each shade fits with the others
- The shimmery black compact feels classy AND sturdy
- They score well on the affordability index, breaking down to $2.50 per pan
- They weren’t chintzy with the pans, and you get a reasonable amount of each product
But, alas, all is not well. There are a few things I wish I could change…
- I wish Sonia had released a palette with shades for girls who prefer warmer colors.
- The glittery beige and taupe shadows look almost identical on my skin; I’m guessing medium-to-dark-skinned beauties may feel the same way
- The packaging feels a little on the heavy side, which might not make it a star for travel
Considering the lovely price and overall quality of these shadows, I see a good stocking stuffer (or maybe even a gift for yourself). Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: A
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,