Thanks to NYC New York Color’s 10 new limited edition Mono Eye Shadows ($2.99 each), I’m a little less freaked out about my birthday next month (I’m turning 36, oy vey!). I’ve been on the market for eye makeup that doesn’t draw attention to my fine lines, so these comfort colors could not have come at a better time.
Most of them have this sophisticated, soft satin finish that’s one of the most attractive, forgiving satins I’ve ever seen from a drugstore line (there are also a couple of mattes and frosts).
In terms of shine, satiny shadows broadcast a subtle sheen that sits somewhere between shimmers (or frosts) and mattes, and unlike hi-shine shimmers, they don’t appear to actively seek out the tiny wrinkles on my lids.
I feel like NYC’s satin shades turn back the clock to a kinder, gentler time — let’s call it 26, LOL! — when my eyes looked all bright and glowy most of the time.
A few of the shades stand out to me like…
- Luxury Reborn — If MAC Woodwinked and Soba had a love child, I bet it would look just like this warm and golden bronzy brown. It looks BANGIN’ in the crease. Got teals, golds and greens? Don’t miss Luxury Reborn.
- Broadway Look — This deep charcoal is the star of playgrounds where smokey eye looks are found.
- In Vogue — I like this dark purple because it contains very little red, and some reddish purples can make me look like I’ve been crying.
Clockwise from the brown pan on the bottom left: Luxury Reborn, In Vogue and Broadway Look
Clockwise from pink pan on left: Buzz List, High Street and 5th Avenue
I Love NY
Swatches from left to right: Broadway Look, I Love NY, Luxury Reborn, Manhattan Gaze, In Vogue, High Street, 5th Avenue and Buzz List
Wearing Luxury Reborn, In Vogue and Broadway Look on the eyes
These also layer well and resist creasing and fading. I can really pack ‘em on without them looking heavy. And on top of everything else, they leave little, if any, fallout beneath my eyes.
Keep an eye lout for these at your local drugstore. They should be arriving next month.
PRICE: $2.99 each
AVAILABILITY: Coming soon to drugstores next month (June 2011)
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A+
The full NYX New York Color Mono Eyeshadow line…
- Luxury Reborn — a golden bronzy brown with a satin finish
- Who’s Who — an icy blue
- Manhattan Gaze — a shimmery blue with a satin finish
- In Vogue — a purple amethyst with a satin finish
- 5th Avenue — a chartreuse with a satin finish
- High Street — a turquoise with a matte finish
- Broadway Look — a charcoal with a satin finish
- I Love NY — a white with a frosty finish
- Front Row — a pale pink
- Buzz List — a deep pink with a satin finish
I can’t stop Swiffer-ing!
You know those Swiffer Sweeper thing-a-ma-bobs? This is prolly going to make me sound like a weirdo…but I frickin’ LOVE mine. I picked one up at Target last weekend, and now I don’t know how I lived this long without it.
I’m serious, it turned cleaning the kitchen floor into a two-minute job. Those disposable dry cloths make quick work of dust, crumbs and tabby hair.
If you have furry pets or live with a lot of dust, you have got to give one of these a try. It’s 8:30 at night right now, and I’m actually tempted to clean the floors!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,