Cute black shoes, jeans that make my bum look good, pictures of men with rippled abs, and wearable neutral eye palettes — these are some of the things I love.
Cue the band!
The Clarins Instant Sun Light Eye Quartet & Liner Palette ($36) has a lot to offer ladies who love warm, blendable neutrals. With four smooth, pigmented powder shadows and an accompanying cream liner, it’s ready and waiting to help you rock a range of casual to dressy eye looks.
Now available at Clarins counters and online, it’s part of the eight-piece Instant Sun Light summer collection.
First thing I have to say about these shadows is WOW! — they blend exceptionally well (almost blend themselves). If you’ve ever had trubs blending eyeshadows in the past and struggle to avoid those tell-tale lines of demarcation (oh, honey, I’ve been there!), I’m betting this palette helps you step up your game.
For more on the Clarins Instant Sun Light collection…
Sometimes I try to imagine what the developers of a product might have watched or listened to at the time they created something. I think this time — the Spice Girls, perhaps? After all, they named each of the shades after a different spice and then embossed a pattern in the center that’s supposed to be an anise star (hmm.. who was it that said it kinda looks like lady parts?).
- Pearly Ginger Eyeshadow: a shimmery beige
- Iridescent Cinnamon Eyeshadow: a shimmery brown with golden glitter
- Matte Cocoa: a neutral matte brown
- Sparkling Paprika: a shimmery golden peach
- Metallic Nutmeg Cream Liner: a shimmery reddish brown with gold flecks
Clarins usually creates seasonal palettes that feel really lavish and luxurious, and Instant Sun Light fits with the program. While the colors aren’t particularly revolutionary, per se, the shadows and liner feel sumptuous and elegant to me.
As for texture, Clarins shadows have a distinct feel; they’re smooth, soft and almost creamy. I’ve accidentally dug my brush in a little too hard (I don’t know my own strength, ha) once or twice and put a big dent in the pan (NO!).
This softness, however, also makes them wonderfully blendable. Totally fab if you can remember to be gentle when working with ’em.
The included cream liner does a fine job along my lash line but didn’t win over my waterline (it made me teary). I may just stick to using it as a base for the four eyeshadows, where it does enhance their colors.
I already have a favorite way to wear this palette. I start by applying the cream liner as a base on my lids and then layer the shimmery brown eyeshadow directly on top. I follow that up by sweeping the shimmery golden peach eyeshadow into the crease and the shimmer beige at the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them. I finish by lining my lower lash line with the matte brown.
Three more ideas for ways to wear the Instant Sun Light Palette:
- A simply elegant look: Apply the shimmery beige over the entire eye lid, and then line upper lash line with the shimmery cream liner for a crisp cat eye
- A soft look for a lunch date: Pat the shimmery peach over the lid and crease and along the lower lash line. Then, line the upper and lower lash lines with the matte brown shadow
- A two-minute smokey eye: Apply the shimmery cream liner to the lid and lower lash line. Then, smudge the matte brown shadow on top; use a finger to soften and smudge the edges
With the help of a good primer, the shades don’t crease much and should last all day without fading. Ladies who wear warm neutrals well, let the Instant Sun Light palette light up your eyes! Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: B+
You might like the Clarins Instant Sun Light Eye Quartet ifâ€¦
- You’re looking to grow your collection of neutral eye colors
- You like pigmented, blendable eyeshadows
- You like flexible palettes that give you plenty of options
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Just in from Urban Decay! UD has a limited edition Alice’s Favorite Things ($211) kit available online, with the Alice in Wonder Book of Shadows plus seven full-sized UD products.
What do ya think?