And the award for Best Dressed Lipgloss goes to…
The Tarte Maracuja Divine Shines ($21), yay!
[INSERT RAUCUS APPLAUSE]
How exciting! 🙂 I love it when something really girly and pretty wins.
The 10-piece release of moisturizing lip plumpers just launched with Tarte’s spring 2012 collection, and I can’t get enough of that floral design.
But what about the other categories, like Best Hydrating Lipgloss, Best Lipgloss with a Funny Name and Best Wear Time? Does Maracuja deserve any of those nominations?
Well, perhaps one of them…
But first, what the heck is maracuja?
The answer to that: passion fruit. MaracujÃ¡ oil is derived from the seeds, and it’s added to Maracuja Divine Shine Lip Gloss. Tarte claims that it makes these glosses highly moisturizing with a high dose of essential fatty acids and vitamin C.
RANDOM FUN FACT — While Cujo, the rabid St. Bernard from Stephen King’s book of the same name, bears no resemblance to these glosses, it is very easy to mistakenly type “maracujo” instead of “maracuja.” In fact, I’ve done it at least 10 times.
These do feel fairly moisturizing to me, but after wearing them for a few hours, I notice some flakes…
Swatches from the left: Adored, Tipsy, Blissful, Natural Beauty , Flush, Dollface, Amused, Charmed and Glisten
Wearing Natural Beauty
As for the colors themselves, Tarte says they range from soft to vivid, but on my pigmented lips, the range runs from fully sheer to medium. And after about an hour, all of them fade to nearly clear.
A few more observations…
- Wear — I get between 2-4 hours, depending on how much I’ve had to eat/drink, and I do have to reapply after every meal.
- Flavor and scent — Mmm…peppermint! It’s light and refreshing, fades after about 15 minutes, and kinda makes me feel like I just brushed my teeth.
- Texture — Thick and sticky like a MAC Lipglass.
- Packaging — The button on the end dispenses the gloss (like a click pen), but get ready for a thumb workout, because I had to click several of the colors about 100 times to start the flow. After that it got easier.
- Plumping — It’s subtle, which is to say that my lips did not go from normal to Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
- Brush — I’m lazy, so I love brush tip applicators like these that I can use without a mirror.
More moisture would make these glosses even cooler than they are, but they’re still so darn cute and portable that I think I’ll keep ’em around for times when I want something sheer, shiny and easy to apply.
PRICE: $21 each
AVAILABILITY: Available now at Sephora stores and also online
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B
Hope you had a great Tuesday! I just walked in the door from my hatha yoga class, and guess what? Tonight I didn’t fall down.
Except for those two times… 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,