I know it’s early October, and you probably haven’t even picked out a pumpkin to carve, but all the makeup lines are unveiling their new palettes and sets for the holidays. They want you festive, dammit, whether you’re ready or not!
Yup, Bobbi Brown is starting early this year, releasing a string of limited edition palettes this month.
- Lip and Eye Palette, $60: A double decker palette with four lipsticks and four eye shadows
- Lip Gloss Trio, $45: A copper case with Spun Gold, Pink Glitter and Sandy Beige lipglosses
- Moon Rock Long-Wear Eye Palette, $55: Two long-wearing cream shadows and liners in shades of gold, silver, black and chestnut
- Night Sky Long-Wear Eye Palette, $55: Two long-wearing cream shadows and liners in silver, blue, black and gray.
- Velvet Plum Eye Palette, $45: Four coordinating powder eye shadows in plums and neutral tones
- Tube Tints Set, $30: Four mini-lipgloss tubes, each with SPF 15, in sheer pinks and browns
Last weekend I played with the Tube Tints Set, Night Sky Long-Wear Eye Palette and Velvet Plum Eye Palette. I think each would make a nice gift for any makeup lovin’ ladies in your life.
Velvet Plum Eye Palette
A few years ago, when I worked a 9-to-5 gig in downtown San Francisco, I’d bring my makeup and brushes with me to work and apply makeup in the bathroom on my breaks. I’ve always had issues packing light, even for work, so streamlined I was not. I’d walk around looking like I had a turkey stuffed in my bag. If I could turn back time, I’d totally give myself this palette along with a note that read, “Streamline, girl!”
From left to right: Bone, Naked, Velvet Plum, Espresso
This gorgeous palette contains four versatile powder eye shadows suitable for business meetings or drinks after work.
Bone Eye Shadow: off white
Naked Eye Shadow: medium neutral pink
Velvet Plum Eye Shadow: shimmery black plum
Espresso Eye Shadow: dark chocolate brown
Neutral work eye:
Apply Bone all over the lid and Naked into the crease. Wet an angled brush and then line the upper and lower lash lines with Espresso.
Plum night eye:
Wet a shadow brush, and apply Velvet Plum onto the lid and just barely into the crease. Then, with an angled eye brush, line the bottom lash line with Espresso.
Brown-plum smokey eye:
Line upper and lower lashlines with a creamy eye liner like MAC Smolder. Smudge Espresso on top of the liner on both lash lines. Then, apply Plum on the lid and just into the crease.
Out of the three palettes I tried, this one is my favorite. It’s just so flexible, and the colors pop without taking things too far. Gotta give Bobbi much lurve for this one. Go girl!
Tube Tints Set
From left to right: Brown Sugar Shimmer, Posey Shimmer, Bare Shimmer and Tea Rose
Aren’t these lil’ chubbies cute? Each applies sheer with subtle color and shine.
- Brown Sugar Shimmer: medium brown
- Posey Shimmer: light icy pink
- Bare Shimmer: golden peach
- Tea Rose: brown rose
The Tube Tints taste minty (but not overwhelmingly so), protect lips with SPF 15 and each stays put for about an hour and a half.
Brown Sugar Shimmer
This would make a really nice gift for a lucky homegirl bound for the tropics this winter (that lucky beeyotch!).
Night Sky Long-Wear Eye Palette
While the blue, silver and black shades in the Night Sky Long-Wear Eye Palette are pretty on thier own, I like this palette mostly because the cream shadows and gel liners complement a wide variety of powder eye shadow shades.
- Rockstar Long-Wear Cream Shadow: medium silver
- Ocean Storm Long-Wear Cream Shadow: medium blue with shimmer
- Black Ink Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner: jet black
- Thunder Storm Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner: black with golden pearl
Rockstar and Ocean Storm both have similar color payoff and texture to Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows. Black Ink and Thunder Storm remind me of MAC Fluidline liners but are a touch creamier and blendable.
If your makeup collection includes lots of blues, blacks and grays, Night Sky would make a fabulous investment.
So, girlfriend, what do you think? How has Bobbi Brown done with her holiday palettes this year?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,