Sundays with Tabs the Cat, Makeup and Beauty Blog Mascot, Oct. 26

Reunited, and It Feels So Good

Your girl’s *one* happy camper right now. Guess who showed his purty face after four full days on the lam. Maybe it’s hard out there for a pimp, eating lizards and fighting off the neighborhood cat thugs. He must have wanted a home cooked meal (aka Fancy Feast: Tuna in Gravy).

Look at that face… He’s a lover, not a fighter.

Life Is Short

Earlier this afternoon El Hub and I went to an outdoor memorial service for a family friend who died unexpectedly last week. He was only 42, a big, muscular guy almost 300 pounds who was larger than life and always had a smile on his face.

He suffered a bad asthma attack last Monday and wound up going to the emergency room. Then, suddenly, what had been a minor staph infection spiraled out of control. He passed away on Wednesday from the infection, just two days after being admitted to the hospital. It’s hard to believe how fleeting life is.

I didn’t know him well, but I was very touched by the speeches his friends and family gave at the memorial. I’ll never forget how the afternoon light filtered through the trees onto his widow’s face…

My heart was heavy when I got home. I was halfway up the stairs to the front door when I heard a meow and looked down to see Tabs crawling out from under a parked car.

That smokey-eyed beast has some hella good timing. :)

So far, 40 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. Arianne says:

Aww I’m glad to hear that Tabs is back. He’s looking handsome with that collar. :)

Arianne´s last blog post..Thank You to Makeup Junkie Comments4aCure!

2. Brenda says:

Cats will be cats, I’m sure he had one heck of an adventure! Maybe he was sneaking off to see one of his lady model friends he made on one of his photo shoots?! I’m glad to hear he’s back I was getting a little worried he might get a little too comfortable with the wild life.

Brenda´s last blog post..RED RED RED!

3. jessica says:

Yay! I’m so glad he’s back! I kept checking back obsessively to see he came home to you yet.

I’m sorry about your friend. It’s crazy how easily life slips away sometimes. =/

4. Tekoa says:

TABS! You naughty kitty, do you have any idea how many people you scared? Don’t do that again! *picks him up and snuggles him*

Maybe he was busy launching a new makeup brand in France?

5. Shiny says:

Karen I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. 42 is far too young to go, it really does remind you the importance of the time we have.

On a happier note, I too am happy to see Tabs has returned, and that now he has a collar so other people know that he has a human.

6. Nell says:

I´m so glad Tabs is back!

7. Karen too says:

Such great news on Tabs, Karen! I’m glad he decided to come back. Has he been fixed? If not it could be worth considering – he’d be less likely to stray. Also, he wouldn’t be contributing to more homeless kittens!

8. Miss QQ says:

Hi Karen. Glad that Tabs is back. I’m sorry to hear about your friend. Life is so random.

9. Indian Girl says:

I am so glad Tabs is back ! I was a lil worried earlier.
    Sorry about your friend…

Indian Girl´s last blog post..Such a cute girl !

10. Shana T says:

Hey Karen,
    I’m really sorry that you lost a friend so suddenly. It’s never easy to deal with a loss like that. I guess it just reminds us that we never know what can happen to us or to our loved ones. So we should always take care of each other as if today was our last day together. Ever since I was young I’ve always concluded every phone call with family by saying “I love you”, because you never know if that was your last chance to say it. Thanks for sharing this with us, it reminded me to send my husband a text and tell him I love him. And by the way I’m really happy for you that Tabs is back!

11. Tali says:

Im so sorry for your friend.. i hope you are ok and i hope his family is too! Death is part of life but your friend will be with you always in your memories and that is a beautiful thing.

They say that cats can sense these things and i think i believe it after the way my cat behaved after a family death. Tabs is obviously a good friend.. and i really do think he loves you. He came back from catting around town to make sure your ok!!

12. Dao says:

Tabs is back! Now he’s handsome with the collar. Tabs, tell us about your adventure please :) I’m sorry for your friend’s pass away. 42 years old is really young but he’s touched so many hearts.

13. cloudburst says:

It’s sad your family friend died so young. It really makes you appreciate the small things in life – like a furry friend! I hope you can find a way to adopt Tabs permanently because he needs a good home.

14. Karen says:

Hi Arianne,

I agree! He better keep it on!

15. Karen says:

Hi Brenda,

Me too. LOL, I think maybe he went to visit his gf without telling me. :)

I’m so glad he decided to come home, though. The first thing I did was put a collar on him!

16. Karen says:

Hi Jessica,

Thanks, hon. I’m really sorry about it too. I wish I could’ve known him better… he seemed like an amazing person.

17. Karen says:

Hi Tekoa,

:) Tabs sends you kitty chirps and kitty love!

I think maybe he was booked to do a show and forgot to send me a text.

18. Karen says:

Hi Shiny,

Thanks for your words, Shiny. I really appreciate it.

I am happy to finally put a collar on him! He accepted it without a fight or anything, LOL. Next up — getting him microchipped!

19. Karen says:

Hi Nell,

Thanks! Me too. :)

20. Karen says:

Hi Karen Too,

I had planned on taking him to the Cat Clinic to get fixed some time next week (and to get him microchipped!). I’m so glad that he’s around so I can take him!

21. Karen says:

Hi Miss QQ,

It is. I dunno if this will ever make sense to me or to his family — he was a really healthy man in his prime. But El Hub and I are going to try to be there for them if they need us.

And thanks for the Tabs love. I’m glad he’s back, too.

22. Karen says:

Hi Indian Girl,

I’m am glad he came home, too. I dunno how he knew that we needed him, but he was there. :)

23. Karen says:

Hi Shana T.,

Thanks, sweetie. I do the same thing when I end conversations — even when I’m mad I try to hug or kiss somebody before they go, and to tell them that I love them. :)

Have a good week and take care.

24. Anna says:

Yay, so glad Tabs is back safe and sound Karen !!!!

So sorry to hear about your friend Karen. Life is definately very short, you never know whats going to happen tmw.Makes you appreciate the ones to love and to let them know that. You only have one shot at life this time round, make sure you have no regrets aswell.

25. Karen says:

Hi Tali,

Thank you. It was just so sudden and unexpected, but I think his family is handling it the best they can. El Hub and I are still in shock, but we talked a long time this weekend about it. It’s a reminder to not take anything for granted.

:) I wonder if Tabs knew… he stayed the entire night (and he let us get some much needed sleep, huzzah) to comfort us.

26. Karen says:

Hi Dao,

Thanks for your kind words, my friend. :)

I wish I could’ve strapped a camera to Tabs’ back. He must’ve had a lot of fun over that four days.

27. Karen says:

Hi Cloudburst,

I could tell from the speeches at the memorial that he led a very full and rich life… today I’m feeling very appreciative of the small things, that’s for sure. :)

Regarding Tabs, hope we’ll be moving to a bigger place in a few months so Tabs be a 24-7 indoor kitty. My heart can’t take not knowing where he is!

28. Karen says:

Hi Anna,

:) Me too.

Thank you for sending these nice words. I have been thinking a lot about how we really have to cherish the people in life and to appreciate what we have. I’m so glad to have the opportunity to make a connection with you, and with all the other folks through this blog.

Have a good week. :)

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend! It’s hard to know what to say, but I’m glad you are able to celebrate his life and appreciate your own!

I’m also so glad Tabs is back! I was worried about him! Besides, it’s always easier to deal with any trials or sadness with a purring cat beside you!

Warm thoughts from me to you and yours!

30. Amanda says:

Hey Karen,
    I’m so happy Tabs is back! yay. And I would like to add my condolences for your friend as well.

I’ve been having a very, very rough week and a half. Maggie, my old girl dog, is not doing very well. So lots of stress, emotions, decisions, etc. :-(

31. Ellery says:

YAY HE’S BACK! And looking adorable as ever. :)

32. Marisol says:

Yay! Guess who’s back? Woot woot!

Marisol´s last blog post..I heart Oprah

33. Laura says:

This is totally Tabs related–next time he goes to the vet, ask about getting him microchipped. It is $55 at the vet where I work. Any veterinarian or animal shelter scans stray animals first thing when they are brought in and can get in touch with you ASAP. Also, is he neutered? Otherwise, the call of the wild will continue =)

34. Tiera says:

So sorry to hear about your friend… you and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

On a lighter note, glad to hear Tabs is back!

35. Karen says:

Hi Glosslizard,

Thanks. :) It was a very touching memorial. I’m glad I was able to be there and witness how much he was loved by his family and friends. My heart still feels heavy today, but I feel really happy to be alive.

When I got home from work today Tabs was waiting on the doorstep. He sure knows how to turn on the charm. :)

36. Karen says:

Hi Amanda,

Oh no… I am so sorry. How is she doing today? And how are you holding up?

Sending you and Maggie good thoughts and hugs…

37. Karen says:

Hi Ellery,

:) His collar isn’t at cute as Babycake’s pink gem-encrusted collar, but hey, the bling will come eventually!

Did you get a new one for her yet?

38. Karen says:

Hi Marisol,

Yay! He’s baaaaack! LOL!

39. Karen says:

Hi Laura,

Now that I think about it, he was acting a bit funny during the days leading up to his “disappearance.” I wonder if his friskiness was due to him answering the call o’ the wild.

Next week I plan on taking him to the Cat Clinic to get snippity-snip-snipped and microchipped! Hopefully he’ll get into his crate without too much of a fuss. He hates getting in it, and really hates riding in the car.

40. Karen says:

Hi Tiera,

Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you… from both me and Tabs. :)