One Week with Twitter

Twitter bird

Before I signed up last week, I thought Twitter was just another glorified chat program, another time-wasting instant messenger filled with people tweeting their bathroom breaks and eating habits.

Truth be told, there is some of that on Twitter (and I do it too)…

Twitter and the brb

But there are also tweets like these (from a search for “eyeshadow tips”):

Eyeshadow tips

And these (from my unfiltered stream today)…
More Twitter tips

It’s easy to find and follow the conversations of people who share your hobbies and interests, just as it’s easy to unfollow people who don’t. Follow only as many people as you want to (as many as you can handle), or download a free program like Tweetdeck, which adds the ability to group conversations and filter tweets by topic.

I’m still new to Twitter and figuring out the ropes, but I think I can already tell why it grew 1,928% over the past year.

It’s fresh and relevant, attracting people of all interests and walks of life. News spreads virally on Twitter faster than anywhere else, even TV! Professionals use it to share details on their latest products and services, and businesses use it to keep consumers up to date. It’s also widely used to share discounts, coupons and to get feedback from people in a flash.

One week in, and I’m already hooked!

P.S. Follow me on Twitter at karenmbb.:)

So far, 24 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. Jenna says:

I read about an interesting twitter conversation that happened on the Boston Police Department’s twitter site (yes, they twitter). They reported a policeman had been brought to the hospital because he was bitten by a suspect. Someone random wrote to them “If that was a zombie bite, would you tell us?” The BPD responded, in what I can only hope was complete seriousness, “Absolutely.”

2. Marisol says:

So glad that you are hooked.
    .-= Marisol’s last blog post… Kindle me this… =-.

3. Hafsa says:

yay:) It is so much more than just what you’re doing, isn’t it?
    .-= Hafsa’s last blog post… Droplets of water =-.

4. Denny says:

Karen, I thought the same way until I signed up for twitter. I like being able to put up a quick post. It’s kinda neat. 🙂

5. Hey Karen! I’m one of your Twitter followers! I just wanted to thank you for the tip about the Urban Decay eye primer. It’s ten o’clock at night, and my eye makeup is still going strong! Thanks so much!

6. Sonja says:

Following you on Twitter. And I understand the addiction too- I’m on the island house, with no tv and phone broken but I still had to open my laptop just to check my TweetDeck. I’m beyond help.

Well, sending you a bit of beautiful crystal blue sea and the allure of doing nothing at all but resting!

7. smiley says:

I am tempted to get on the twitter train!

8. Dao says:

Yeah, it’s highly addictive. And that’s one reason I don’t have a Blackberry or an iPhone. I would go to Twitter and Facebook all the time!
    .-= Dao’s last blog post… Homemade Sugar Waxing Recipe =-.

9. gio says:

I used to think the same but now I’m addicted!
    .-= gio’s last blog post… Sunday Beauty Reads =-.

10. Citrine says:

I still don’t quite get Twitter…I have an account and I forgot my password every time I tried to login (some random people just decided to add me for particular no reasons…well I think they are spammer…)

I agree with the purple eyeshadow thing though…a lot flattering than brown in my case…

11. Sarahc says:

I started twittering this month and now I can’t stop either. I use the search instead of google alot to find out how to do things. For things like what website is good for airline tickets I get faster better answers tweeting than with google. 😉

12. Rowena says:

Hi Karen

I have been twittering for a few months and despite early reservations I am addicted. Trying to not post anything thats just mundane and silly but sometimes – its hard not too!

I like the fact its less commitment than sites like Facebook and you can’t be stalked (well you probably can) by that girl in school who bullied you mercilessly but now wants to be your friend….

I tried responding to some of your tweets tho, I’m sure sure if you see them or not?
    .-= Rowena’s last blog post… 12 =-.

13. Anne says:

Im following you now, yay!
    .-= Anne’s last blog post… Motivation =-.

14. Trude says:

I only signed up at first because I wanted to follow a few celebrities. I thought, How cool is it to be able to get a direct line to them? And now I love it, for its giveaways, for the humor, for the awesome twit pics. 🙂
    .-= Trude’s last blog post… We Have A Winner! =-.

15. Hey Karen!
    I got the Sin version as you suggested – it looks fab even with just a touch of shadow and eyeliner. I’m really looking forward to doing my fall make up shopping now!