Farewell, NY Fashion Week, and Your Colorful, Chunky Highlights

Just like my time-traveling DeLorean, the bodaciously bright highlights all over the runways in New York this week were taking me back to the future! — all the way back to 1997, when I was all about fatty-bo-batty chunks of highlighted hair. :) My coif was definitely BOLD and BRIGHT back then… I loved it, except when the streaks started red but ended up an unappetizing orange!

Fashion Week: Funky, Chunky Haircolor

by Megan McIntyre, Daily Makeover

Looks like it’s time to break out the Manic Panic.

The big beauty trend for hair at Fashion Week was bright, chunky streaks of color that brought to mind punk-inspired street style circa 1996.

At the Cynthia Rowley Fall 2010 fashion show, Eva Scrivo for Wella Professionals custom colored hair extensions in shades of emerald, lapis, amethyst, navy and turquoise to replicate the rich jewel tones present in the collection.

Each hair extension was completely saturated with professional salon haircolor and then woven into the hair and styled, creating an element of surprise and intrigue when models hit the runway.

Continue reading…

Check out more of the recent beauty coverage on Daily Makeover

So far, 10 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. Vanessa H says:

*waves goodbye to highlights*

I’m so excited, I have to tell someone lol… I’m wearing the coolest purple nail polish by China Glaze called Grape Pop. It’s just delicious to look at :-D

2. amy says:

Oh I remember Manic Panic, I have tried, pink, purple and blue. Bleaching my own hair was a disaster, but I thought the results with the funky colour was OH SO COOL. Although I did fried my hair too. Oh good times good times.
    .-= amy’s last blog post… Dior 5 Couleurs Édition Dentelle Palette Fards À Paupières Coquette 743 Product Pictures, Swatches and Review =-.

What little I saw of Fashion Week was … to say the least … interesting. :-D

4. lexi says:

Oh man, I remember back in 1995 and I wanted nothing more than chunky skunk like highlights…

Mine were gawd awful. The worst part was the fatty orange streak running through my bangs, LOL! I’d try it again if I could have somebody guide me through the process!

• lexi says:

NICE!
        I did have two cool streaks of RED going down the front of my hair. I wore my hair parted right down the middle – sucked when I had to grow out the streaks.

Comments are closed on this post. Please visit a more recent post (click here) to leave a comment.