Blogging for Breast Cancer – Will You Join Me?

What Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month?

My college friend Mary Anne was barely 30 years old when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was 2006. She wasn’t long out of dental school when her doctor, during a routine exam, found a lump on her breast.

A lump — words no woman wants to hear and no 30 year old ever expects to.

Today, Mary Anne is doing great. She was lucky, and her treatment went well. But when her doctor found the lump that day in 2006, she’d had no idea it was there. She hadn’t experienced any symptoms, and if it hadn’t been found during that exam, there’s no telling how much longer it may have gone undetected.

Every October, women around the world take time to remember friends and family and to increase awareness of the disease. They promote the importance of early detection, help to raise funds for research and treatment and offer information and support to those affected by breast cancer.

For us, there is no more worthy cause than this one. Breast cancer targets us (women) at a rate 100 times greater than men.

Here’s a statistic that shocked me when I read it, but one in every eight US women will develop breast cancer… That means some of us, here.

So, what are we going to do about it?

Answer: we’re going to stick together.

There are many ways to help and many worthy organizations. No one can possibly support them all, but I would still like to see if we here can raise $100 by the end of the month.

I’ll match your donations (up to $100), which means that if there’s $100 on the ChipIn widget in the banner below here or at the top of the home page, then we’ll have raised $200 for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the organization I’m choosing for the donation.

About Susan G. Komen

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.

In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find a cure. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure, the group has invested nearly $1 billion to fulfill Nancy’s promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.

How to Give?

How Much to Give?

Every dollar gets us closer to that $100, but there are other ways to give. One way is by commenting on participating blogs within The Beauty Blog Network as part of comments4acure. Last October, the event raised more than $3,000 for cancer charities, one comment at a time.

So far, 27 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. tim says:

Every year, I dye my hair pink for the month and look for a good charity to support. This one sounds pretty good and I hope you are able to raise your target.

hair color last year

tims last blog post..Nowun Till – learning from the Nigerian email scam

2. J-Money says:

I love this post. I’ll spread the news! Happy Hump Day!

3. Dao says:

Let me comment :) You’re doing a very good thing Karen, I’m sure you will exceed your goal.

Daos last blog post..MAC Emanuel Ungaro: It’s On!

4. Indian Girl says:

You’re doing a great thing Karen and Kudos to all the bloggers and others participating in this event for a great cause.

Indian Girls last blog post..Work Place Makeup wth Thevi Cosmetics

5. Karen says:

Hi Tim,

That’s very cool of you. I hope you are able to support a great charity again this year!

6. Karen says:

Hi J-Money,

Thanks, love! Much appreciated.

7. Karen says:

Hi Dao,

Thank you, girlfriend. :) Hope you’re having a good day so far!

8. Karen says:

Hi Indian Girl,

:) Thank you! I hope we can raise some good money for the cause. Have a good one!

9. yadiQ says:

i am so in there

my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over 2 years ago

we were very blessed to have been able to provide her with the best possible care and she is doing great today

she’s rather young (only 48) and is cancer free! wooo hooo

i hope we raise a lot of money ! this is a great cause which can affect any of us

10. Bisi says:

What a great cause and idea!

Thanks for doing this, Karen – count me in!

Bisi (Biserka)!

11. Karen says:

Hi YadiQ,

I’m glad to hear your mom is doing okay. :)

Thanks for your support and I hope we can all reach this goal together!

12. Karen says:

Hi Bisi,

:) Thank you for your support!

It’s good to know that we can make a difference together.

BIG HUGS!

13. Nadine says:

Great idea! Thanks for posting this Karen!

14. Laura B says:

Looks like you’re well on your way to your target. Good for you for doing something and good for us for getting involved.

My mother in law was diadnosed at 38 and is now 13 years cancer free.

I’ll be wearing my pink ribbon with pride this month!

15. gio says:

This is a great idea, thanks for doing this Karen.

gios last blog post..Product Review: Nars Duo Eyeshadow

16. Almira says:

Oh beautiful story, I really appreciate this. =)

Almiras last blog post..Eyelash Comb!?

17. Megan says:

This is such an awesome way to support this cause. One of my closest co-workers (my mentor) beat breast cancer years ago before I knew her. She’s the same age as my mother and is at least 10 years out and still goes for regular check ups etc. to make sure she’s still clear. I have another co-worker right now who is a 30 something single mother and she has been battling it for over a year. She hasn’t been able to work for the past few months and has been really struggling. I am glad to contribute to such a worthy cause. As much as I hate gynecologist appointments etc. this should be a reminder to us all to get our check ups and do some self-exams too!!!

Yay, Karen! Thanks for sticking up for a great cause!

19. Karen says:

Hi Nadine,

Than you! :)

20. Karen says:

Hi Laura B,

I’m glad to hear your mother-in-law has been healthy for the last 13 years. I will be wearing my pink ribbon right along with you. :)

21. Karen says:

Hi Gio,

Thanks for your support, hon!

22. Karen says:

Hi Almira,

:) Thank you!

23. Karen says:

Hi Megan,

That’s so true. It’s vital to do those monthly exams!

Sending good wishes to your co-worker who is battling cancer…

24. Karen says:

Hi Glosslizard,

Thanks!

I love that we can all get together and make a difference. :)

25. Lilan says:

Hi Karen,

I still remember the post from last year about Mary Anne and it still so moving how strong women really are. I’m really happy that we’re all working together to make a statement :)

Lilans last blog post..Allure Beauty 101 Event at Clinique

26. Lehea says:

A close friend of mine had some lumps removed over a month ago. Not sure if they’re cancerous, but I’m praying that they’re not. I made a contribution towards your goal. Looks like you’ll be reaching it in no time!

27. Beth says:

Great post for a great cause Karen.

And…we all know there will be some awesome LE products around for the next month so we can shop and contribute to a very worthy cause. Yay!

Bx

Beths last blog post..Frightening the Nurse