I love many, many things about MAC, but I have to say — I haven’t always been the biggest fan of their nail polishes.
That’s mostly been because of the brush — it’s the old-fashioned style, where the bristles often spread out, which makes applying the polishes kind of a chore.
I dunno… I just prefer the flatter-style of brushes from brands like OPI, where it’s easy to get that nice crisp edge I like. I’ve always found those kinds of brushes easier to use.
And then there’s the MAC formula. Some of the shades just seem to chip sooner than I’d like, and I don’t think I’m the only person who notices it. Whenever I mention a MAC polish to my girlfriends, they’re like, “Yeah. MAC? Nope. The chipping.”
The New MAC Studio Nail Lacquers: Reformulated and Redesigned With a Brand New Brush
Fast forward to now. 🙂
The brand reworked their entire nail line. The new Studio Nail Lacquer line ($12 each) now includes 36 shades spread out among four finishes in cream, frost, pearl and glitter.
They also introduced new base and top coats called Underlacquer and Matte Overlacquer, respectively.
Joining the Studio Nail Lacquer line is a new family of six top coats called the Nail Transformations (also $12 each), designed to change the look and feel of nail polishes worn with them.
Deets on those soon, as I’m still testing, but if you can’t wait, they’re available now online…
With the reformulation, MAC added conditioning ingredients like Vitamins C, E and B5 to the formula, along with a bunch of new colors (although they did carry over many of the O.G. ones too), and then there’s the aforementioned new brush…
Now it has the flat shape! 🙂 Aaaah! [THE CLOUDS PART]
With it, I notice that I can cover a lot more surface area per swipe, and it’s easier to create nice sharp edges.
So, Where Are They?
They’re almost here! They’re en route, you could say. The Studio Nail Lacquers arrive July 3 on the MAC website (in stores July 10, 2014), and are headed for the permanent line.
The Nail Transformations, however, are available online now, and coming to stores July 3 (also to the permanent line).
Swatches, Yo! Part 1
This first batch features some of the summery colors (corals, peaches, pinks), reds and darker creams, for those already in fall mode.
So far, so good, in terms of application. Most of the shades I’ve tried go on smoothly and appear pigmented on my nails. In some cases, I’m even able to get away with a single coat.
I’m still testing these for wear time. Will they last longer than the O.G. MAC lacquers before chipping? Stay tuned. Only time will tell…
Let me know which of these catches your eye. Check back a little later for the glitters, frosts and more of the darker shades.
Peaches, Warm Pinks and Corals
Reds and Plums
Neutrals and Cool Pinks
The MAC Studio Nail Lacquer Line Includes…
- Quiet Time: a beige nude (cream)
- Coffee Break: a mid-tone cool taupe (cream)
- Delicate: a pale sheer ballet pink (cream)
- Erogenous: a light milky peach (cream)
- Skin: a light peachy beige (cream)
- Snob: a light neutral pink (cream)
- Saint Germain: a light cool pink (cream)
- Instant Crush: a bright coral (cream)
- Only in Florida: a mid-tone orangey coral (cream)
- Morange: a bright creamy orange (cream)
- Impassioned: a bright warm pink (cream)
- Girl About Town: a bright bluish fuchsia (cream)
- Shirelle: a classic bright red (cream)
- Flaming Rose: a true red (cream)
- Sour Cherry: a dark berry red (cream)
- Rebel: a mid-tone rich plum (cream)
- Midnight Ocean: a dark royal blue (cream)
- Nocturnelle: a rich true black (cream)
- Sunset Sky: a mid-tone crimson (cream)
- Midnight Storm: a deep magenta (cream)
- Anti-Fashion: a mid-tone dirty purple with pearl (frost)
- Midnight Strata: a dark violet (cream)
- Before Dawn: a greenish gray (cream)
- Midnight Sky: a deep charcoal (cream)
- Screaming Bright: a super glittery gold (pearl)
- Soiree: a sparkly light bronze gold (pearl)
- Girl Trouble: a super glittery pink (pearl)
- Mean & Green: a purple with teal multi-changing pearl (pearl)
- Formidable: a teal green with pink multi-changing pearl (pearl)
- Rain of Flowers: a deep violet with pink and blue pearl (pearl)
- Silver Dew: a gold glitter base with multi-colored large glitter (glitter)
- Quick Million: a gold glitter with large particle pink glitter (glitter)
- Tropical: a black with rainbow multi-pearl (glitter)
- Overlacquer: a clear gel-like texture top coat
- Underlacquer: a gel-like texture base coat
- Matte Overlacquer: matte effect top coat (matte)
The Nail Transformations Line Includes…
- Texturize: a clear leather-effect top coat
- Highlight: a sheer blue pearl transformer
- Liquid Pigment – Pink Pearl: a sheer pink pearl transformer
- Liquid Pigment – Green Pearl: a sheer green pearl transformer
- Liquid Pigment – Gold Pearl: a sheer gold pearl transformer
- Shadow: a sheer blackening top coat
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,