I *loves* me some hot weather, but extreme heat and/or humidity wreak havoc on my makeup.
MBB reader Sara knows where I’m coming from, and she’s hoping we can help her with a few makeup tips to beat the heat.
I live on the East Coast (New Jersey), and it’s starting to get warmer out. What’s the best summer makeup, and what works best for minimal/warm weather coverage?
I found myself blotting my makeup off the other day because it was so hot, and I was sweating.
First off, when it’s REALLY hot outside, I stick to minimal makeup.
Here’s a routine I started doing a few years back while living in a town called Davis (go Ags!). Temps there would often reach triple digits. People would call it “hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk!”
I never gave that a try, but I always wanted to.
My “It’s Getting Hawt in Here” Makeup Routine
- It all starts with a great sunscreen. Then, I fill in my brows and conceal my dark circles.
- Next, to brighten my eyes, I curl my lashes and apply two coats of a waterproof mascara (I usually go with waterproof mascara when it’s hot out) like Stila Lash Visor, and if I have the time, I’ll also line my upper lash line with a black waterproof eyeliner like Benefit Bad Gal Waterproof Liner.
- For a little color in my life, I’ll dot some liquid blush on my face, and I really like Benefit’s Benetint on my cheeks, blended in with my fingers. I like liquid blushes because they seem to outlast creams or powder blushes in uber-intense heat.
- I usually wear both powder AND a tinted moisturizer, but not when it’s hot. It just feels too heavy. Instead, I’ll skip both, but in their place I’ll bring along some blotting papers like MAC Blot to cut down on the shine throughout the day.
- I’ll finish with a sheer lipgloss on my lips, something like Chanel Aqualumiere Lipglosses for work or Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Soothers for play.
Lovelies, what’s your take on summer makeup? Do you change your routine when it heats up outside? What can Sara do with her makeup to breeze through the Jersey summer in style?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,