I had a brush with a skunk today! And yesterday. And the day before that. Actually two skunks. The first was the MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush ($42), lovingly referred to by some as “the skunk brush.”
Beloved by bazillions of MAC-aholics (like me), this black-and-white classic has a way with foundations, in particular, and can produce an almost airbrushed look.
Have you ever noticed how often it appears as a repromote in MAC’s seasonal brush kits? Yup, this stinker’s a popular product, and I like it, too, but I prefer its often overlooked little buddy, the 188 Small Duo Fibre Face Brush ($34).
With bristles fashioned from a blend of goat hair and synthetic fibers, this flat-top circular brush, a member of the MAC permanent line, excels at lightly applying liquid and powder products. The brush head is about half the diameter of the 187’s.
It’s one of my most frequently used beauty tools, and I reach for it daily to…
- Apply liquid foundation. It’s not a heavy-handed brush and never leaves telltale brush marks on my skin, yet it’s still able to cover everything flawlessly.
- Blend. I also use the 188 to blend under-eye concealer into my foundation, which I think it does seamlessly.
- Apply powder blush. To give my cheeks a light flush, I swirl the 188 to apply powder blush on the apples of my cheeks. I don’t really use it for cream blushes or cream highlighters, though, as the soft, flexible fibers struggle to pick up denser products.
- Apply powder highlighters like the MAC Mineralize Skin Finishes. I usually wet the brush first with a little MAC Fix+. Together I think the pair give a really pretty glazed look to skin.
While the 188 and 187 can tackle many of the same jobs, the 188 just suits me better. I feel I have more control with the smaller brush head, and it fits into the tight spaces around my nose and chin.
If you wear liquid foundations, liquid highlighters, powder blushes and/or powder highlighters often, consider adding the multitasking mini-skunk 188 to your makeup kit.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The MAC Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from MAC’s permanent collection
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Russian Red Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Syrup Lipstick
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Blushbaby Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Vex Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Strobe Cream
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Blot Powder/Pressed
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Subculture Lip Pencil
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Soft Brown Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Woodwinked Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Powersurge Eye Kohl
- MAC Unsung Heroes: All That Glitters Eyeshadow Is Not Just Another Gold
- MAC Unsung Heroes: The Technakohl Liners
- MAC Unsung Hero: Groundwork Paint Pot
- MAC Unsung Hero: Nymphette Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Viva Glam V
- MAC Unsung Hero: Blacktrack Fluidline
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Lychee Luxe Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Hero: Gorgeous Gold Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Patina Eyeshadow