I’m having a blast exploring different ways to wear MAC’s new Style Black collection.
Earlier today I tried a bronzy black smokey eye using Mineralize Eyeshadow in Gilt By Association ($20).
It turned out better than I thought it would! At first I was afraid (I was petrified) the slippery Cream Colour Base would look too messy, but I found that as long as I didn’t overuse it, it stayed put reasonably well.
This is a look I’ll definitely wear again, maybe with a white, brown or bronze top and some gold jewelry.
Tutorial: What you’ll need
- An eyeshadow primer like Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($17)
- A creamy black eyeshadow base like MAC Cream Colour Base in Black ($17)
- A shimmery blackish bronze shadow like MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Gilt By Association ($20)
- A shimmery, peachy golden eyeshadow like MAC Eyeshadow in Woodwinked ($15)
- A shimmery, bronze pencil liner like MAC Eye Kohl in Powersurge ($15)
- A black liquid pen liner like LORAC Front of the Line Pro ($22)
- A black mascara like MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash Mascara ($13)
- A black gel liner like MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack ($15)
Swatches from left to right: Too Faced Shadow Insurance, MAC Cream Colour Base in Black, MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Gilt By Association, MAC Eyeshadow in Woodwinked
MAC Eye Kohl in Powersurge, LORAC Front of the Line Pro, MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash Mascara, MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack
- Start by priming your entire eyelid with a thin layer of eyeshadow primer.
- Next, with a synthetic eyeshadow brush (I’m using a MAC 239 Eye Shader Brush), apply the creamy black eyeshadow base to the first lid. Try to concentrate more of the color on the outer lid (the side closest to your ear).
- While the creamy black base is still wet, use the same brush to add several layers of the shimmery blackish bronze eyeshadow directly on top (a wet base sticks to the shadow better and prevents the shadow from falling on your cheeks). Smooth out any harsh edges with either the brush or a finger.
- Sweep the shimmery peachy golden eyeshadow into your crease with a MAC 217 Blending Brush, and use the same brush to soften any harsh lines.
- You can emphasize the lower lash line by lining the lower water line with your bronzy pencil liner.
- Make the eye pop even MORE by smudging the shimmery, peachy gold eyeshadow along the lower lash line with a MAC 214 Short Shader Brush.
- Almost there! With a Laura Mercier Flat Eye Liner Brush, apply the black gel liner to the upper water line.
- Then, line the upper lash line with your black liquid pen liner.
Finish by curling your upper lashes and adding two coats of black mascara to both your tops and bottoms.
Why the heck are you still reading this? It’s the weekend! Get out there and have some fun.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,