Vivacious violet eyes and righteous red, glossy lips today because, ya know, it’s Monday. Why not? 🙂
This is the flashiest look I’ve flaunted in a while! I’ve been kind of stuck in a neutral eye/nude lip rut, so this is my makeup version of Stella getting her groove back, except instead of me working it out on a tropical island with a hot, young thang, I’m working purple eyeshadow, red gloss and red lipstick…
I’m wearing stuff from the new MAC Toledo collection.
Toledo as in the fashion designers, Isabel and Ruben — not “holy Toledo!” or Toledo, Ohio, in case you were wondering.
MAC is so educational!
Honestly, I hadn’t heard of them before…but I’m also not hip at all, so there’s that.
The eye-catching 31-piece collection comes out next month with limited edition white, black and red packaging.
I’m most interested in the three six-pan palettes, like the purple one I’m wearing here (there’s also one with green and olive shades, complete with baby-poo green eyeshadow, and I’m so not kidding about that; and another palette that’s blue).
Oh! — and there’s also a lot of red for lips. When I was looking at the packaging this morning, I thought, “Yeah, let’s do red. And purple. Why the heck not?”
The thing is, with bold eye and lip looks like these, I’m trying to strike a delicate balance between dramatic and cra-za-zy. To that end, I follow some basic guidelines…
The first is to chillax on the brows, son, because with a bright purple eye and glossy red lips, there’s already a lot going on, and full, bushy or blocky brows would just be one more thing competing for attention.
Also, I like to wait until my eyes are done and I’m already wearing lipstick and/or gloss before moving on to blush. That way I can sort of gauge how much color to put on my cheeks.
Most of the time when I do looks with bold eyes and lips I don’t wear a ton of color on my cheeks, because it can easily go all-out ’80s, which is totally fine if that’s what you want. I mean, there’s a time to channel Tess from Working Girl, but for me today wasn’t one of those times.
I am wearing blush in these pics, by the way. It’s MAC Blush Ombre in Ripe Peach (the light coral) from the Toledo collection, but it doesn’t really show up to the party. On my skin tone, it’s not very noticeable, which works out fine for this look.
As for my outfit and accessories, I went with dainty jewelry and a delicate headband, instead of the oversized bling-out Kate Spade Studs I first wanted to wear (same reason as the cheeks, because I didn’t want anything to compete with the eyes and lips).
I felt like anything too bright or shiny would have been distracting, and that’s what the bright pops of color on the lids and lips are for.
More on MAC Toledo…
The limited edition 31-piece release for eyes, lips, cheeks and nails arrives online January 29 and in stores February 5 through April 2, 2015.
The collection includes…
- Eye Shadow X 6 in Bellgreens, with Fresh Blade (a pale frosted yellow with a Veluxe Pearl finish), Gorgeous Gold (a muted yellow with a Veluxe Pearl finish), Savant (a mid-tone mustard lime with a Stain finish), Vicuna (a light neutral olive with a Frost finish), Charcoal Brown (a matte muted taupe-brown with a Matte finish) and Sushigreen (a charcoal olive with a multidimensional pearl and a Velvet finish). $44 US, $53 CAD.
- Eye Shadow X 6 in Violetwink, with Sweet Allure (a soft light pink with a Satin finish), French Clay (a white gray with a Frost finish), Stars ‘N’ Rockets (a purple with pink pearl and a Veluxe Pearl finish), Tendersmoke (a muted silvery lilac wtih a Frost finish), Frizzyplum (a dark violet with multidimensional pearl and a Frost finish) and Overnight (a cool black with a matte finish). $44 US, $53 CAD.
- Eye Shadow X 6 in Moodyblu, with Midnight Snow (a pale silver with a Frost finish), Idol Eyes (a silvery violet with gold and a Lustre finish), Deep Truth (a true dark blue with a Frost finish), Knight Divine (a black with silvery pearl and a Veluxe Pearl finish), Exotic Purple (a dark navy with a Satin finish) and Indigogo (a blackened navy with multidimensional pearl and a Veluxe Pearl finish). $44 US, $53 CAD.
- Modern Twist Lash in Vynil, a black. $24 US, $29 CAD.
- Modern Twist Lash in Caligrafy, a navy. $24 US, $29 CAD.
- Modern Twist Lash in Taro, a purple. $24 US, $29 CAD.
- Modern Twist Lash in Cholorafill, a lime. $24 US, $29 CAD.
- Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Designer Purple, an iridescent violet. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Chlorafill, a green lime with pearl. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Petrol Blue, a deep navy with pearl. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Matte Lipstick in Oxblood, a light peachy nude. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Matte Lipstick in Barbeque, a vivid orangey red. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Matte Lipstick in Victoriana, a mid-tone pinkish red. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Matte Lipstick in Tenor Voice, a true classic red. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Matte Lipstick in Sin, a deep blood red. $17.50 US, $21 CAD.
- Lipglass in in Oxblood, a light peachy nude. $16.50 US, $20 CAD.
- Lipglass in Barbeque, a vivid orangey red. $16.50 US, $20 CAD.
- Lipglass in Victoriana, a mid-tone pinkish red. $16.50 US, $20 CAD.
- Lipglass in Tenor Voice, a true classic red. $16.50 US, $20 CAD.
- Lipglass in Sin, a deep blood red. $16.50 US, $20 CAD.
- Blush Ombre in Ripe Peach, a light coral. $32 US, $39 CAD.
- Blush Ombre in Azalea Blossom, a light cool pink. $32 US, $39 CAD.
- Blush Ombre in Kindergarten Red, a crimson into a pale nude. $32 US, $39 CAD.
- Nail Lacquer in Faint of Heart, a pale milky nude with a Cream finish. $13.50 US, $16 CAD.
- Nail Lacquer in Venus Red, a clean true red with a Cream finish. $13.50 US, $16 CAD.
- Nail Lacquer in Vixen, a deep burgundy red with a Cream finish. $13.50 US, $16 CAD.
- Isabel and Ruben Tolden 129SE Powder/Blush Brush. $38.50 US, $46 CAD.
- Isabel and Ruben Toldeo Makeup Bag, $35 US, $42 CAD. Available in select MAC stores.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,