“When the makeup calls, the girl must answer.”
That’s how I feel today, like I was lured by love to do something more special with my makeup than my plans today would otherwise warrant.
I think that’s one of the things I love so much about makeup, that you don’t really need a good reason to play with it. It’s just there, so why not?
Sure, so I got glammed up to swing by Safeway at lunch to get heirloom tomatoes and basil. It won’t be the first time I go grocery shopping all gussied up.
Actually, I didn’t do anything fancy at all. Just a teal, brown and blue smokey eye using some of my MAC favorites, like Tarnish Kohl.
This is one of my favorite MAC eye looks because of how easy it is, and because it’s a little different than a standard smokey eye with black or gray.
I call it my “peacock feather” eye look.
Starting with greenish black MAC Tarnish Kohl as a base, I smudged a small amount of MAC Club eyeshadow, a complex brown eyeshadow with blue-green duochrome, on top.
Then, in the outer corner, I added shimmery blue Deep Truth eyeshadow, also from MAC, so that when I turn my head, BAM! — a blue flash.
Well, at least that’s the idea…
Lastly, I finished with Tarnish along the water lines for a little extra depth.
Additional makeup worn in this look…
- MAC Concrete Eyeshadow: Brows
- Tom Ford Beauty Brow Sculptor in Espresso: Brows
- NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base: Lids
- MAC Haute & Naughty Too Black Lash: Lashes
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Cuba and St. Moritz: Face
- Hourglass Oxygen Foundation Powder in No. 4: Forehead, nose and chin
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW25 and Care Blends Essential Oils in Grapefruit + Chamomile: Under eyes
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Give Me Sun: Back of my cheeks
- MAC Ambering Rose Blush: Apples of my cheeks
- MAC Dazzleglass in Girl’s Delight: Lips
It might be more of a fall look than summer, but eh — who’s keeping track? When the makeup calls, the girl (or boy) must answer.
How about you? What did you do for your eye makeup today?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Big congrats to the U.S. women’s gymnastics team last night! Way to go, girls!!