Hey, Sailor! Come here often!?
Exclamations abound in MAC’s latest limited edition summer release, a fairly sizable collection of 38 pieces for lips, eyes, faces, cheeks and bodies that sails into port (and onto North American MAC counters) May 24.
The crew, a rabble of ragtag repromoted products and first-time sailors, also features two maritime makeup bags — the $35 Gone Sailing Makeup Bag Set and $45 Gone Sailing Tote, both of which also drop anchor on May 24.
The crew’s fancy limited edition uniforms must cost more than MAC’s standard threads, because the products are priced slightly higher than normal.
The blue and white striped pieces are easy to spot from shore, and all of the packaging feels very crisp and clean to me. I like.
You can really see the striped pattern in the High-Light Powder pan; the pattern reminds me of a sailboat’s sails.
If the name of the collection sounds familiar (“Hey, Sailor!”), it was also the name of a Lustreglass from 2008′s Naughty Nauticals, another maritime MAC summer collection, and that’s not the only thing recycled here.
The pigment in Naval Blue also set sail in spring’s Chenman collection, and the Refined Golden Bronzer also went MAC To The Beach in 2010 (In Hey, Sailor!, I think the Refined Golden Bronzer appears more matte and less sparkly than it did when it went MAC To The Beach). Then, it was a
Orange Tempera Lipglass also sailed with 2011′s Fall Colour Collection, and the Beach Body Oil (To The Beach) served alongside the Refined Golden Bronzer in 2010 when MAC went To The Beach.
That’s a lot of sailing! And a lot of exclamation marks, too. The ship is rife with ‘em, yargh! Hey, Sailor! Salute! (a neutral peach lipstick) when a superior officer enters the bridge. While you’re at it, Throw Me a Line! (a bright red lip pencil), and Launch Away! (a peach blush). Give me full power and every exclamation mark ye got!!!!!
The first time I heard about this collection, because of the name, I thought it might be related to the cool-toned Naughty Nauticals release, but now I don’t think that’s the case at all.
From the 23 pieces I’ve seen, Hey Sailor! features far fewer cool-toned blues, purples and pinks. The collection seems warmer to me, more like a traditional summer release, with its golds, corals, peach and tan. Of course, MAC had to add a twist with the kelly green and navy blue, which seem to give the release a preppier vibe. This sailor guy/girl probably wears J. Crew and Ralph Lauren more often than Roxy and O’Neil.
the shipping manifest some product pictures and swatches, as well as some action shots of the crew.
Eye Shadows, $16 each
Eye Shadows from the left: Barefoot, Jaunty, Feeling Fresh
Pigments, $21 each
Powerpoint Eye Pencil, $16
Lipglasses from the left: Orange Tempera, Riviera Life and Send Me Sailing, $15.50 each
Lipsticks in To Catch a Sailor (left) and Salute! (right), $15.50 each
Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in Shore Leave (left) and Throw Me a Line! (right), $19 each
Suntints SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balm from the left: Sea Mist, Au Rose and Abalone, $16
High-Light Powder in Crew, $28
Powder Blush in Fleet Fast, $21
Powder Blush in Launch Away!, $21
Pro Longwear Bronzing Powder in Nude on Board, $24
Pro Longwearing Bronzing Powder in Nude on Board
Bronzing Powder in Soft Sand, $24
Nude on Board (left) and Soft Sand (right)
To the Beach Body Oil in Seaside (left) and May Rays (right), $22.50 each
MAC Hey, Sailor! swatches on NC42 skin
Eye Shadow Swatches from the left: Jaunty, Barefoot and Feeling Fresh
Pigments in Naval Blue and Old Gold, Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Emerald Sea
Lipglasses in Orange Tempera, Riviera life and Send Me Sailing
Lipsticks in To Catch a Sailor (left) and Salute! (right)
Suntints SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balm in Sea mist, Au Rose and Abalone; Pro Longwear Lip Pencils in Shore Leave and Throw Me a line!
High-Light Powder in Crew; Powder Blush in Fleet Fast and Launch Away!
Pro Longwear Bronzing Powder in Nude On Board and Refined Golden; MAC To The Beach Body Oil in Man Rays and Seaside
Wearing Eye Shadows in Jaunty (brow bone, inner corner and lower lash line), Barefoot (crease) and Feeling Fresh (lid); Powerpoint eye Pencil in Emerald Sea (upper lash line and waterline); Powder Blush in Launch Away! and Lipstick in Salute!
Lipstick in To Catch a Sailor
Powder Blush in Fleet Fast and Lipglass in Send Me Sailing
Lipglass in Riviera Life
Lipglass in Orange Tempera
High-Light Powder in Crew on upper cheekbones
The complete MAC Hey, Sailor! collection includes…
- Lipsticks in Salute! (a neutral peach with an amplified finish), To Catch a Sailor (a frosted tan) Red Racer (a bright yellowish red satin) and Sail La Vie (a bright mid-tone orange Satin, $15.50 each
- Lipglasses in Cut Loose (a white gold with pearl), Orange Tempera (a pale peach), Riviera Life (a bright tangerine), Blessedly (a rich pale coral), Send Me Sailing (a bright yellowish red), $15.50 each
- Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in Saunter (a pale nude beige), Throw Me a Line! (a bright true red) and Shore Leave (a light vibrant coral), $19 each
- Eye Shadows in Crystal Avalance (a white with reflects with a veluxe pearl finish), Barefoot (a tarnished gold veluxe pearl), Jaunty (a light frosty yellowish beige),
- Feeling Fresh (a frosty bright green) and Nautical (a navy blue satin), $16 each
- Pigments in Old Gold (a high frosted tarnished gold) and Naval Blue (a deep frosty smoky blue), $21
- Powerpoint Eye Pencils in Handforged (a metallic yellowish gold), Emerald Sea (a kelly green) and Blue Stripe (a dark navy), $16 each
- Zoom Waterfast Lash, $15
- Bronzing Powders in Soft Sand (a golden bronze with fine gold pear), Refined Golden (a finely spun golden with soft pearl finish), $24 each
- Pro Longwear Bronzing Powders in Nude on Board (a bronzy, yellow tone) and Sun Dipped (a dirty red tone), $28 each
- High-Light Powder in Crew (a soft peachy cream with fine shimmer), $28
- Powder Blushes in Launch Away! (a true peach with a satin finish) and Fleet Fast (a pinky, golden coral with a satin finish), $21
- Nail Lacquers in Vestral White (a creamy white) and Touch of Red (a creamy bright yellowish red), $16
- MAC to the Beach Body Oils in Seaside (a dirty blush pink with multidimensional sparkles) and Man Rays (a glowing an with multidimensional golden shimmer), $22.50 each
- Suntints SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balms in Sea Mist (a peachy nude with multidimensional pearl), Abalone (a see through hot pink with no pearl), Au Rose (a poppy coral pink with golden pearl), $16 each
- Brush in 167SH Face Blender, $34
- Gone Sailing Makeup Bag Set, $35
- Gone Sailing Tote, $45
We’ll take a closer look at some of the pieces before we set sail. In the meantime (maritime?), let me know what you think. You’re a valued member of the crew, and Captain Tabs would like your opinion.
Your friendly neighborhood dedicated sailor,