OK, so, you know how I’ve been talking about wanting to get new eyeglass frames for, roughly, forever?
I keep putting it off because I have the hardest time committing to couches and, apparently, eyeglass frames, but things escalated this week due to events beyond my control (I lost my glasses), so I need to get a new pair TODAY.
I mean, I do have a backup pair in the house, but they’re too strong and give me a headache if I wear them more than 10 minutes, so I’m headed to the optometrist soon.
I checked Costco, but everything had so much bling on it. Somebody suggested that I check Kaiser, where we have our insurance, for less bling-y glasses, so that’s where I’m going.
I browsed around their website and saw some cute Kate Spade frames, which I’m hoping I can try on today.
So, that’s something, right? I’ll finally have new glasses. New glasses, new year! 🙂
About that, can you believe it? It’s already 2018? Wow, I just got used to writing 2017 on my checks…
Are you doing anything tomorrow night? The baby and I are still recovering from our colds, so I’m lobbying Tabs and El Hub for us to get Chinese takeout and watch cheesy movies at home. That sounds perfect to me. I want to be cozy, comfortable and stuffed when it turns 2018.
I’m a little excited about seeing Mariah Carey try again on New Year’s Eve. Remember that whole debacle last year? You know me, I’m Team MC, so I hope she knocks it out of the park.
In other news, I did a lot of reading this week. I finished a novel called The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams (it was OK…a quick read), and I just started a murder mystery called The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda.
It’s taking me a while to get into. I’m seven chapters in and… Well, I hope it picks up soon.
Are you reading anything good? Here are some articles that caught my eye this week…
- I’ve spent the last 48 hours binge-reading TophCam, a blog that mainly covers skin care, but also occasionally delves into makeup. The author, Chris, is a college student who’s also worked in the beauty industry, and he does long, detailed reviews. I really appreciate his in depth Guide to Vitamin C and love his clean, elegant product photography. I’m visually inspired.
- If you’ve bought any makeup from Claire’s for yourself or others, there’s a chance those products could contain asbestos (!)
- Yet another reason to avoid cosmetics testers: you could end up with fecal material 💩 on your face.
- This three-year-old toddler blends her shadow 100 times better than I did when I was in high school.
- Have you watched Bright on Netflix yet? It’s kind of a weird premise…like Dungeons & Dragons meets Southland. Will Smith plays a cop in present-day, alternate universe L.A. Everything in their world is pretty much the same as ours, except for the magical creatures everywhere. There are fairies, elves, orcs, and I even saw a dragon 🐉 flying in the background in one scene. It’s like LOTR up in the mix. I liked it. Even if you really aren’t into that kind of thing, watch it for the makeup. There are so many intricate, complicated looks that I legit believed orcs and elves were among us… But can somebody tell me why the names of the makeup artists were omitted from the credits??
- I haven’t seen the new Blade Runner movie yet, because why you gotta redo something that doesn’t need to be redone?? Anyway, I’m still crabby about it, but after reading this story about the makeup artists who worked on the film, I kinda wanna see it. Kinda.
- How Lil’ Kim’s money nails wound up at the Museum of Modern Art
- The 11 most popular beauty products at Target in 2017
- No more selfies, and possibly no more dark or colorful nail polish for Meghan Markle when she marries into the royal family… Ouch. The nail polish is a bummer, dude!
Almost another year in the books, my friend. Let’s make these last two days of 2017 good ones. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,