You might be wondering, “So what the heck is this Monday Poll thing anyway?”
Well, it isn’t much of a poll. It’s more just a constantly evolving (devolving?), somewhat random list of questions I’ve been putting out to readers every Monday morning for the past six years. I’ve always enjoyed reading your answers in the comments, and I hope you enjoy reading mine.
- Is there a story behind your name and how you got it?
My mom, after watching Airport 66, named me after the actress Karen Black. Mom thought Karen Black was “sexy,” and plus it wasn’t a common name in the Philippines at the time. It was either that name or Stephanie, and I’m so not a Stephanie.
- If Hollywood made a movie based on your life, who would play the main parts?
A really, really, really tan Reese Witherspoon with her hair died black or dark brown. She would play me. Ryan Gosling would obviously have to play El Hub. Obvs. 🙂 Even though the two look nothing alike, haha! But still.
The thing is, Detective Unstabler (Chistopher Meloni) would be perfect for the part, but in the end the casting agent (Tabs) would go with Ryan Gosling, and speaking of Tabs, he would play himself…because he’s multitalented like that.
- Have you ever gone out on stage to accept an award?
Yes. The last time, I think, was high school graduation. That’s when my academic career peaked. It was all downhill from there…
- When was the last time you were moved to tears by something beautiful?
It was at Anthrolopologie last weekend when I was looking at those dog heads. I thought, I want one that looks like Shauna, and I remembered how Shauna would look up at me and give me that goofy smile, and I got kind of teary at Anthropologie looking at dog heads…
- What’s your worst quality?
It’s hard to choose from all of them. I don’t mean to sound like I have low self-esteem, but this is a tough one for me right now. Hmm… I beat myself up. I talk to myself in ways that should not be allowed. Maybe that’s my worst quality.
- What’s your current favorite shampoo, conditioner or shower gel and why?
It’s this one by RenÃ© Furterer (I can never say her name) called KaritÃ©. It’s a deep conditioning hair mask, and it works great and doesn’t weigh down my hair.
- Are you competitive?
In some ways yes, and in some ways no. I get irritated when I know I can do better, but it’s more about competing with myself than others. I’m not going to sell my first born or hang somebody out to dry to get ahead of anyone.
- What’s been your favorite fall makeup collection this year?
- How did you learn to drive?
Oh, gawd. Well at first my dad tried to teach me, and that was really, really terrible because he’s the worst teacher, and he has no patience. And in the truck I learned to drive on, the speedometer was broken, so my dad was always getting mad at me for speeding.
Eventually, I just signed up for one of those driving courses where somebody came out to my house, and they had one of those teacher/student cars with breaks on the passenger side. All I really remember from that was that the teacher smelled like cigarette smoke all the time, so I drove with the windows down, and the wind always messed up my hair.
- When you think, “sophisticated and pretty,” what’s the first beauty brand that comes to mind?
Chanel. ‘Nuff said.
Now it’s your turn. Just copy and paste the following questions into a comment with your answers. I look forward to reading ’em! 🙂
1. Is there a story behind your name and how you got it?
2. If Hollywood made a movie based on your life, who would play the main parts?
3. Have you ever gone out on stage to accept an award?
4. When was the last time you were moved to tears by something beautiful?
5. What’s your worst quality?
6. What’s your current favorite shampoo, conditioner or shower gel and why?
7. Are you competitive?
8. What’s been your favorite fall makeup collection this year?
9. How did you learn to drive?
10. When you think, “sophisticated and pretty,” what’s the first beauty brand that comes to mind?
I hope I can get my feet back under me this week… I’ve been so overwhelmed lately. I haven’t fully recovered from all that traveling this summer. I could easily not do anything for three weeks, and still maybe not be fully recovered.
Oh, well. That’s not gonna happen. Not on Tabs’ watch.
I hope we all have a great week.
Scratch that. I’m sure we will. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,