You might be wondering, “So what the heck is this Monday Poll thing anyway?”
Well, it isn’t much of a poll. It’s more just a constantly evolving (devolving?), somewhat random list of questions I’ve been putting out to readers every Monday morning for the past four years. I’ve always enjoyed reading your answers in the comments, and I hope you enjoy reading mine.
- Something you never expected to love?
He was just a neighborhood stray who’d watch me do laundry at my old apartment. I had no idea he’d go on to become the cat love of my life.
Yes, I realize how very CCL that sounds, but what else is new?
- Do you recall the first makeup or beauty product you purchase with your own hard-earned money?
This is me guessing, but I’m pretty sure it was a drugstore lipstick from a Thrifty’s in Union City by my middle school. I can’t remember the exact color, but it was either Revlon Cherries in the Snow, or one of the Cover Girl Wetslicks.
- Have you ever had a summer romance?
A few crushes here and there as a teenager, but no, not really.
They were all pretty lame. Nothing young adult novel-caliber or fit for a TV movie.
- How are your beach volleyball skills?
In a word: nonexistent.
I just don’t do projectile activities. My first instinct when the ball is coming at me is to run away! — and volleyball was always my worst sport.
Let me put it this way: if we were picking teams and you didn’t pick me, I would completely understand. I’m like volleyball dead weight.
- Something that always makes you laugh?
Old pictures of Justin Timberlake from the ’90s, when he had his curly, crunchy-looking hair. He was always smiling, but that hair!? It looked like Top Ramen.
- Can you do a headstand or a handstand?
No on both counts. In fact, I have a thing about being upside down. I try to avoid it.
- A recent makeup or beauty discovery that’s been rocking your world?
The men’s version of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. El Hub has a bottle in his bathroom cabinet, and I’ve been sneaking spritzes here and there. Give it a try next time you’re at the counter.
- Mini or maxi dresses?
Minis! I like the idea of maxi dresses, too, but when I wear ’em I feel like I’m drowning in material, or playing dress-up in my mom’s clothes.
- Are you wearing any jewelry today?
My wedding and engagement rings, two long layering necklaces from Anthropologie, and a pair of gold studs.
- What were the best parts of your weekend?
Sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday and sprucing up my deck.
We got a few more planters and bird feeders (for the family of finches I’m always talking about). In the planters, I planted snap peas and spinach, because El Hub read in an article that they’re supposed to be very efficient plants, in that they’re easy and should grow to maturity in a couple months.
Slowly but surely, that deck is becoming my favorite room in the condo.
To complete the Monday Poll, just copy the following list, and paste it with your answers in the comments.
1. Something you never expected to love?
2. Do you recall the first makeup or beauty product you purchase with your own hard-earned money?
3. Have you ever had a summer romance?
4. How are your beach volleyball skills?
5. Something that always makes you laugh?
6. Can you do a headstand or a handstand?
7. A recent makeup or beauty discovery that’s been rocking your world?
8. Mini or maxi dresses?
9. What jewelry are you wearing today?
10. What was the best part of your weekend?
Oh, boy. I already feel overwhelmed about the week. That’s not a good sign, but we can only do what we can do, right? I’ll try to keep my shizz together if you do. Good luck to us both!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,