Applying eyeliner seems like one of those vastly personal things, ya know? Like fragrances, or buying skinny jeans. I have gal pals who always apply from the same direction, some who draw dots they then smudge, buddies who do both eyes at the same time… There are just so many different ways to go about it.
I was drawing my liner this morning with a new crush, Clarins’ splendidly smooth and dark Crayon KhÃ´l Eye Pencil in Intense Black ($25) when I started thinking about all the different ways we line our eyes.
I usually apply pencil liner one eye at a time following this approach…
- Bottom water line, working from the outside (the side closer to me ear) inward toward my nose
- Top water line, working from ear-side to nose
- Roots of my upper lashes (gotta get between the base of those hairs!)
- Upper lash line, again from ear to nose
- Lower lash line, yep, from ear to nose
- Then I’ll smudge when I want/feel I need to
It depends a little on the formula. I have a slightly different routine for liquid, gel and cream liners, but generally the steps are the same, except for how I handle my upper lash lines. I’ll line then from the opposite direction, working from the inside out (from nose side to ear). I don’t know why, but for some reason that’s just easier for me with liquid and gel liners.
How about you? How do you line your eyes? Do you have a time-tested technique, and what products have you been loving lately?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,