Beyond the Lights. I think it just came out last night. El Hub and I went, and I really enjoyed it.
I just caught myself because I almost wrote a spoiler… Don’t worry, I won’t. 🙂
It was directed by the same woman who directed Love and Basketball, Gina Prince-Bythewood, which I also liked, so if you liked that, I think you’d also like this. It’s about a young, hyper-managed pop star whose every action is spun for the tabloids or gossip blogs, or covered up, and everything has PR implications — who she’s dating, where she’s going for lunch, what she’s wearing. It exhausts her.
She also has no creative control over her career either, at all, and the things she wants aren’t compatible with the manufactured image that her manager (her mom, in this case, played by Minnie Driver) and her record label are trying to create.
She starts to unravel until… Cue the romantic part of the story!
It sounds like it could go Lifetime movie in a second, but it doesn’t. Not really. It’s a little cheesy, but it’s not super cheese. You get a very clear sense of who these characters are, and they don’t seem wooden or one-dimensional. They feel like real people.
Go see it and have fun!
It probably won’t win any awards, except maybe for a couple of acting performances (Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Minnie Driver are great!) or set the literati ablaze, but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable.
After the movie we just came home, read a little on the couch and went to bed. I woke up early this morning because El Hub was tossing and turning, so I read for about an hour, and now I’m here with you. 🙂
Good luck in this weekend’s giveaway, my friend. Hopefully I bump into you in the comments or social media somewhere along the way.
- One (1) Sephora eGift card containing $50 sent to the winner by email (international readers, you may opt to receive $50 sent by PayPal instead).
- Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.
- Open to U.S. and international readers.
- You must be 18 or older to enter (or otherwise an adult based on your local laws).
- Your comment can be about anything at all, but here are some ideas if you’re stuck:
- What do you think is your most unique attribute?
- What would your drag queen name be (mine would be Kitty McDiamond)?
- What’s one piece of makeup you wear every day (or almost daily)?
- What’s your favorite month?
- How good is your penmanship/handwriting?
- What time did you go to bed last night?
- You can enter in up to seven ways to boost your chances of winning.
- The giveaway ends on Monday, November 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time). 🙂
- Full terms and conditions are available in the widget.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,