It’s not always easy to remember the things I have to be thankful for because, like a lot of people, I get caught up sweating all the small stuff in life — the carpet needing to be vacuumed, the laundry piling up or how I’m running low on concealer, eek!
Earlier today I posted the 43 makeup-related things I’m thankful for. Well, here’s the non-makeup version of my list.
I scribbled these down in my notebook on the plane ride back from Florida last night. It was a rough ride. There was heavy turbulence flying over the Gulf of Mexico, and every time the plane would knock my head against the back of my seat, I’d get another idea for the list.
Here they are, the 43 (non-makeup) things I’m thankful for this year, in no particular order… 🙂
1. The good news that El Hub and I just got about my MIL’s health. She’s not out of the woods yet, but last week’s operation was a success.
2. Visiting new places.
3. Luggage with wheels… No kidding.
3. Teen vampire fiction.
4. Minty dental floss and modern orthodontia. When I was a kid I had a wayward fang that made me look like a vampire from the side. Thanks for the braces, Mom and Dad.
5. Those awesome little umbrellas and plastic stirrers that go in tropical bar drinks. I’m gonna start using them at home to liven up my milk, guava juice and coffee…
6. The people who still love me despite my numerous faults.
7. Tabs. I just adore that stupid cat…
8. OTC meds for indigestion. Seriously, thank gawd for Tums and Pepto (it blackens the poo!).
9. Good workouts.
10. Polydactyl cats, because weird is cool.
11. Kanye West’s Graduation CD. The track, Stronger, got me through many a tough time.
12. Heated swimming pools.
13. Modern women’s apparel. Could you imagine if we were still wearing corsets and gowns? Give me a wrap dress, stretchy pants or sweats, please.
14. Popcorn, Life Savers Gummy candies and Vitamin Water.
15. Sleeping in.
16. My health.
17. The wisdom that comes with having made so many mistakes in life.
18. Apple computers and the iPhone (they make my life easier).
19. Arch inserts and quality running shoes.
21. Down comforters.
22. Random acts of kindness.
23. Seeing my brother in love.
24. Stylish winter boots.
25. The Jamba Juice Orange Dream Machine … YUM!
26. For the chance to have been my BFF’s matron of honor. There was a moment in the Catholic ceremony when I held her hand during a prayer. Before letting go, I gave her hand a good squeeze, and she squeezed mine back. It was a small gesture but reminded me of all the good and bad times we’ve shared throughout our 20-year friendship.
27. Puzzle games like Tetris and Jumble.
28. Older women in Chanel tweed suits, with nicely coiffed hair and age appropriate makeup. It gives me something to work toward, LOL!
29. Washing machines.
30. The Golden Girls.
31. Dictionary.com… What can I say? I can’t spell.
33. The Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera, EF 50 mm f/1.8 II lens and good lighting.
34. Kitty kennels.
35. Afternoon tea.
36. That I said yes to a second date.
37. Good hair days.
38. People who laugh at my jokes.
39. The first waves of the day at Waikiki beach (before the big crowds).
40. Days when I hit “random” on my iPod and the playlist turns out to be magic.
41. Singing in the car.
42. Toe socks.
43. All of you who read this blog! 🙂
What are you most thankful for this year?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,