The following post is sponsored by i smell great. From the creator of CLEAN perfume, the scents you love, extracted, encapsulated, bottled. Isn’t that great? Learn more at ismellgreat.com.
Just call me “wild candy beach babe!”
Not a bad nickname, right? Got a nice ring to it. Could be a good backup drag queen name, in case I ever get tired of Kitty McDiamond. 🙂
Wild candy beach babe is my very own personal scent concoction, a layered combination of three products from i smell great, a brand new fragrance/beauty line by the creator of CLEAN perfume, Randi Shinder, and perfume industry vet/blogger Jane Daly.
There are four fragrances — Beach Babe (my fave), Candy Crush, Angel Cake and Wild Honey — and five product families. I like all of them by themselves, but I REALLY like this combo: Candy Crush Soft Body Whip ($28), Wild Honey Eau de Parfum ($68) and Beach Babe Hair Fragrance ($32), all worn together.
The whole mixing/matching/layering thing is a big part of these, because they were designed to layer seamlessly together.
Still, I’m kind of surprised that I haven’t come up with a gross combo yet. No matter which products I’ve layered, the resulting aroma smells fresh and feminine, like “La-dee-da! I just stepped out of the shower and skipped through a spring meadow.” Nothing too spicy or fruitastically sweet. Just chill, relaxed fragrances that one can wear practically anywhere.
i smell great: the four fragrances
- beach babe: Ah, take me away to a land of tropical breezes, coconut cream and golden suntan oil…
- candy crush: Mouthwatering candied flower petals, rose syrup, icing sugar and candy hearts to tempt and tease you.
- angel cake: A comfy, cozy scent with notes of pink icing, powdered sugar and candied almonds…with a touch of sweetness.
- wild honey: A soothing synthesis of honey, brown sugar, Tahitian vanilla and sweet nectar make this intoxicating aroma irresistible.
To put it another way, these delicate, light fragrances do not trigger trumpets and spotlights when you enter a room. They are not obnoxious or overly strong, and the average human could not possibly smell them from a mile away.
Instead, they’re like something you might catch a whiff of when you hugged your best friend. Of course, right after you squeezed her good and tight, you’d have to ask, “What is that you’re wearing?” Then you’d make a note on your phone to check it out.
i smell great: the five product families
- eau de parfum ($68, 58ml): Delicate, light and long-lasting.
- wellness water mist ($32, 200ml): Delicate and lighter than the perfume, it’s in a base of purified water, aloe and glycerin. I like to spray this all over my bod after a shower.
- soft body whip ($28, 200ml): A highly moisturizing lotion with soothing almond oil, coenzyme Q10 and vitamin E. It absorbs quickly, lasts a long time and doesn’t leave a greasy film.
- reactive lush lip ($28, 9g): A sheer, moderately moisturizing tint with good taste. All of them have a different flavor. Only problem: I’m always tempted to lick them off my lips.
- hair fragrance ($32, 150ml): A gentle conditioner to add shine to your mane. Makes hair feel and smell cleaner, longer. Ideal for post-workouts when you don’t have time to wash your hair…or it’s just too darned cold outside.
Despite their subtlety, these i smell great fragrances do not disappear right after you put them on, and that’s because of the power of self-renewing scent spheres, which is fancy-talk for “these fragrances stick around for a good 6-8 hours.”
Like something out of the Capitol in Hunger Games, touching or rubbing an area where you’ve applied them reactivates the scents.
I witnessed their longevity in action last Friday, when I sprayed the Beach Babe Hair Fragrance on my mop after my workout (didn’t have the time/motivation to wash my hair). It was date night for me and El Hub — dinner and a movie — and then bed a couple hours after we got home.
When I got up the next morning and ran a brush through my hair, I could still smell Beach Babe.
That’s like 12 hours later!
If the thought of mixing and matching your own aromatic elixir and creating your very own personal fragrance profile sounds enticing, i smell great’s Eau de Parfums ($68 each), Hair Fragrances ($32 each), Wellness Water Mists ($32 each), Soft Body Whips ($28 each) and Reactive Lush Lips ($28) are available now at ismellgreat.com (I don’t think they’re carried in stores yet).
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. TGIF! 🙂 Mockingjay tonight!