Today I started reading the new Urban Decay Book of Shadows, Vol. IV ($64), and it’s quite the page turner so far.
Urban Decay’s latest tale stars 16 eyeshadows (10 of them new) and a host of other interesting characters, like Supercurl (Full name: Supercurl Curling Mascara) and Potion (Full name: Eyeshadow Primer Potion).
I’m a sucker for science fiction, and when it’s good like this, I feel compelled to cosplay! — in a manner of speaking. I based my makeup this afternoon on the first of five tutorials in the story, the lovely “Crystallized.”
The book/palette comes with five special QR codes, which work a little like bar codes. After installing a free iPhone app to read QR codes, I held the phone’s camera up to the code. The phone scanned it and then opened a link to the video.
Each of the tutorials features Urban Decay’s Executive Creative Director Wende Zomnir and a model, on whom Wende completes the look while describing each step in the process, including which products and brushes to use.
At the beginning of the Crystallized look video, Wende refers to the look as “beachy” and “goddess-like” (ooh-la-la!). It’s designed to be a quick look, but one that still features a pop of color, which is totally my style.
I set my phone up on the little stand built into the palette and followed along, pausing the video when I needed more time to apply something and/or blend. I pretty much followed the tutorial’s eye and lip makeup to a tee, only adding a little bronzer to my cheeks to fake a sun-kissed glow.
A breakdown of the look…
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion all over the lids and along my lower lash line
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Skimp on the brow bone
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Baked on the lids and in the crease
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Hijack along the lower lash line
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Crystal along the inner portion of my lower lash line
- Urban Decay Supercurl Curling Mascara on the upper and lower lashes
- MAC Eyeshadow in Concrete used to fill in my brows
- Urban Decay Baked Bronzer in Baked (not part of Book of Shadows, Vol. IV)
- Urban Decay Lip Love in Stung (not part of Book of Shadows, Vol. IV)
- Chanel Mat Lumiere Soft Matte Makeup Soft Honey all over the face
- MAC Strobe Cream, also all over the face
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW25 beneath my eyes
- MAC Studio Careblend Powder in Light Plus, also beneath the eyes
- MAC Studio Careblend Powder in Medium Dark, also all over the face
Not a hard look at all, and I like the way it turned out. Now, I don’t know if I feel like a beachy goddess…but I sure wouldn’t mind spending time at the beach (preferably one with warm water)!
So far I’m really enjoying Book of Shadows Vol. IV (especially the tutorials). I heard it was nominated for a Nebula Award.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. New York area Urban Decay fans, if you can swing by the Sephora store in Times Square tomorrow, Saturday, August 20, the store will be hosting a six-hour sneak peek and early sale of the new Urban Decay Book of Shadows, Vol. IV, from 1-7 p.m.
The $64 palette doesn’t officially arrive until the holidays, so this would be a chance to grab it before anyone else.
P.P.S. What did you do for your makeup today?