The bright matte blue eyeshadow chilling in the corner of Tom Ford’s new summer eye and cheek compact is, well, unabashedly blue and comes, ironically, out of the blue, or so it seems to me.
Then again, maybe that was the point. The compact is called Unabashed, after all, and with a name like that, I guess it makes sense to have at least one outrageous color, methinks.
The bold electric blue looks like it wandered over from the Urban Decay counter and decided to kick it with TF for the summer, and it’s not one of those bait-and-switch blue eyeshadows, either — you know, the kind that scream from their pans, “Haaaay, look at me, playa!” only to apply all shy and sheer.
No way, this blue’s bright and bangin’ — perfect for bold blue eye looks, if you feel so inclined.
When I see blues like this one, my gut usually tells me to do a neutral lid and smudge the blue along my lower lash lines, or perhaps do a soft blue cat eye, but this morning my gut told me something else. It said, “Um, Karen, let the blue play with the other colors in the compact, OK?”
And I said, “Sure.”
The compact also includes a matte taupe eyeshadow, which looks a little like the taupe from She Wolf, only lighter; a glittery taupe; a shimmery golden peach blush; and a shimmery golden tan bronzer/highlighter.
I found out that if you layer the matte blue on top of the golden bronzer, it summons a dark and beautiful peacock feather teal.
For my eyes…
- Apply the bronzer/highlighter in the crease.
- Sweep the matte blue into the lower crease.
- Pat the matte taupe on the lids, then layer the glittery taupe on top (which I’ve applied here with a wet eyeshadow brush to intensify the glittery effect).
- Line the upper lash line with Tom Ford’s Eye Defining Pen in Deeper.
- Line the upper and lower water lines with Guerlain’s Black Jack Eye Pencil.
- Smudge the matte taupe along the lower lash line.
- Apply Katy Perry false lashes to my upper lashes.
- And coat my lower lashes with Clinique Lash Power Feathering Mascara.
For the rest of the look, I swept the golden peach blush from the compact on my cheeks and applied the highlighter/bronzer on my upper cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose and on my Cupid’s bow.
Look for the Unabashed Eye and Cheek Compact now at Tom Ford counters and online for (brace yourself for Tom Ford prices) $95.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,