OMG, where’s the UPS dude?! I keep running to the front door to check for a Sephora package I ordered last week, and then, seeing it isn’t there, stomping grumpily all the way back to my desk.
Gah! The package I’m waiting for contains goodies from a line of natural lip products called Bite Beauty, and I’ve been eager to sink my teeth into them…
Ha! Sorry, you know I can’t resist a bad pun.
When the 50-piece lip line’s lipsticks, liners, glosses, pencils and lip treatments materialized on Sephora’s website earlier this month, I incorrectly assumed that vampire politics played a role (Bite Beauty?), but that was just my inner Twilighter/True Blood-er jumping to supernatural conclusions.
I haven’t detected the presence of the undead anywhere in the marketing for the line. No mention of vamps, fangs or blood-thirsty monsters; Bite Beauty looks like a purely human development. The special sauce is a potent antioxidant called resveratrol.
Resveratrol. It’s a type of natural phenol that several plants produce to defend against pathogens like bacteria and fungi. Grapes and red wine contain high amounts, and studies have shown it to have potent anti-inflammatory properties, among other effects.
Along with resveratrol, products in the line also contain shea and fruit butters, and food-grade color — basically, the company says the products are safe enough to eat.
Bite Beauty products do NOT contain parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances and dyes, petrochemicals or phthalates.
I can’t wait to give them a try (she said, running to the door for the 15th time today). The pigments look rich in the promotional pics, and I dig the overall idea.
Prices vary from $18-36 each, so they aren’t drugstore bound. Price-wise, they’re somewhere near the middle of the pack. Right now the line’s exclusive to Sephora online, but it’s probably safe to assume it’ll also roll out to some of the stores soon.
The Bite Beauty lineup includes…
- Luminous Creme Lipsticks ($24) — Available in 20 shades, Bite Beauty says these lippies offer rich, long-lasting, moisturizing color. They separate the shades into different families — reds, neutrals, pinks and berries — and the caps for each of the families have different shapes. That’s kinda different and fun.
- Lip Rouge ($22) — This multi-tasker works as both a buildable blush and a lipstick. It comes in six colors with a satiny texture — nude, red, pink, peach and brown.
- High Pigment Matte Pencil ($24) — Bite says this long-lasting matte lip color contains a double dose of pigments. Avaliable in six shades.
- Lip Shines ($20) — An angled doe-foot applicator delivers these six glossy, translucent shines. Shades range from transparent nudes to rich reds. Time-released jojoba beads give it extra hydration.
- SPF 15 Sheer Balm ($19) — These eight semi-sheer lip colors protect lips with SPF 15, and they cool and refresh with organic mint and blood orange essential oils.
- Vitamin Gel ($18) — Available in five shades that sound good enough to eat (Blood Orange, Ginger, Pineapple, Pink Grapefruit and Mint), this daily multi-vitamin lip gel adds sheer shine to lips. It also contains essential oils which, according to Bite, have mood-enhancing effects.
- Super Butter ($18) — Nourish and moisturize lips with one of Bite Beauty’s four lip butters.
- Value Sets ($28-36) — These money-saving sets combine several products from the Bite Beauty line.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. How’s your Tuesday going?