When you hear the word “tartelette” do you think of tiny, tasty tarts?
Because I do.
And I don’t just think of one of them. I think of dozens of them in different flavors, but I don’t think that’s terribly unusual. I mean, who’s going to eat just one tart, right? CRAZY PEOPLE, that’s who. I would eat five or six of them and just rapid fire toss them into my mouth without even taking a breath, because that’s how I roll…
The term, “Tartelette,” as I’m unsuccessfully trying to use it here, is actually the name of a new all-matte 12-pan neutral eyeshadow palette from Tarte.
It’s also what Tarte calls their fans. So no, a Tartelette is not a tiny tart (or is it?); nor is it a backup singer for a band, even though that totally sounds like a legit thing (“And now, give a warm welcome to Karen and the Tartelettes, YAAAY!!”).
I wore the Tartelette palette a lot over the holidays because the colors, being neutral and matte, are perfect for family time, and I could wear them around my parents without having to answer questions like, “Why are you dressed like you’re going to the disco?”
Also highly recommended for watching Shark Tank with your in-laws (OMG! You haven’t lived until you’ve sat through four hours of Shark Tank with your in-laws.), going back for thirds at dinner, and going to brunch with your nieces and nephews — you know, just the regular, everyday family stuff that doesn’t require false lashes and red lips. 🙂
The Tarte Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette ($44)
- Limited edition and part of Tarte’s spring 2014 Anniversary Collection
- $44 for 12 all-new shades (0.053-oz. pans) of moderately pigmented neutral matte eyeshadow in warm cream Free Spirit, light neutral brown Force of Nature, warm brown Dreamer, dark grayish brown Multi-Tasker, cool pale pink Caregiver, mauve Natural Beauty, medium plum Best Friend, dark plum Bombshell, cool ivory Super Mom, warm light brown Wanderer, cool taupe Power Player and grayish black Fashionista.
- According to Tarte, the colors celebrate real women and were “inspired by real tartelettes just like you.”
- All of the shadows contain Amazonian clay, one of Tarte’s favorite ingredients, which is supposed to help these shadows last a good, long while. And they do! When I wear them with primer, they last from 6-8 hours for me.
- The elegant, easy-to-blend formula applies smoothly and doesn’t emphasize my fine lines. Unfortunately, these colors are almost too easy to blend, if that makes any sense. Over-blending is a real issue for me with this palette, and I have to force myself to pull back, lest the colors begin to get muddled. This one’s ideal for neutral eye looks involving just one or two shades.
- Expect some moderate fallout, so you might want to do your eyes first, and then clean up.
- I wouldn’t call this a revolutionary matte palette, but it’s a pretty good one if you like cruelty-free makeup and simple eye looks with one or two shadows at a time (versus complex looks with four or five shadows and elaborate gradients).
- Perfect for vacations, Sunday brunches and straight-up lazy days.
AVAILABILITY: Limited edition and available now online and at Tarte counters
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,