NARS has a knack for neutral eyeshadows but likes ’em with a twist, like Star Sailor, which accompanied me on my quick holiday trip last weekend. Keeping us company on the open road was another dynamic neutral duo from NARS, the $33 Indian Summer Duo Eyeshadow, which happens to be the subject of today’s Unsung Heroes post.
Like both of the colors in Star Sailor, Indian Summer’s shadows keep a low profile until they get out of their pans; that’s when their powder shadows sing. In the official PR, the shades are described as a frosted champagne and a mustard seed, but I think they’re much more exciting than that.
How about this? — a shimmery golden beige that flashes silvery taupe, and a buttery golden brown satin?
Right? Both shadows bring a subtle brightening effect to lids — not too much. Just enough that you can tell there’s something there.
Since these powders lean toward the warm end of the color temperature spectrum, I think they look particularly fetching on tans and olive-toned skin.
I like to bring flexible products with me on trips, and Indian Summer absolutely fits. One morning I might pair it with a bright green, teal or purple along my upper lash line and a bronze or gold along the lower. Then, before going to dinner at a restaurant, I might jazz it up by replacing the tinted upper lash line with a thick black liquid liner and a brighter cheek and lip for extra oomph.
Both shadows in the duo are so creamy and easy to blend that they’re highly conducive to a past-faced life on the road, like when you’re staying with family and sharing a bathroom with five other people.
Speaking of fun…
Okay, I’m head-over-heels in love with Sonia Kashuk’s Agent Provocateur. I brought it with me up to Redding last weekend, and the dang thing traveled exceptionally well!
Um…I packed a little more makeup for this trip than I usually do, since we were driving and I didn’t have to worry about luggage or checking bags, and the case kept everything tidy and organized. I was able to find whatever I needed without much heartache or time.
LOVE! And the gals liked it, too (my mom and mom-in-law).
I’m seriously considering getting one or two more…
In other news, how’s your Thursday coming along? I’m actually still trying to get back into the swing of things here. Having been away from the computer for a few days, all I want to do is lie on the couch, eat kettle corn and watch movies on TV, like the one I’m trying to pull myself away from now, A Home of Our Own, starring Kathy Bates and Edward Furlong (remember him from T2?).
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The NARS Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from the NARS permanent collection
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Indian Summer Eyeshadow Duo
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Star Sailor Duo Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Heat Wave Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Afghan Red Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Mata Hari Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Luster Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Lovejoy Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Amour Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Gothika Lipgloss
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Cairo Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Red Square Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Damned Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Taos Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Night Star Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Madly Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Dolce Vita Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Greek Holiday Lipgloss
- NARS Unsung Heroes: The Kalahari Eyeshadow Duo