A few things I learned (and in some cases relearned) in 2011:
- It’s easy to fall back into old habits, one of which for me was comparing myself to others, but it’s a recipe for misery cake and serves no useful purpose.
- Tim Gunn is my Obi-Wan! Whenever I find myself in a pickle, I close my eyes and ask, “What would Tim Gunn do?” And then (I like to imagine) he materializes — a life coach/style Jedi — to dispense golden nuggets of advice.
- Red lipstick could be the most powerful force in the Universe (even stronger than gravity).
So maybe that third one’s a slight exaggeration, but I will say that red lipsticks always make me feel better — especially bright, cheerful reds like NARS Heat Wave ($24).
It makes even mundane tasks, like trips to Trader Joe’s, a million times more fun. I wore it there a few days ago and made a new makeup-loving friend on the staff.
A bright reddish orange, Heat Wave breathes life into faces! I used to think it was too much like MAC Lady Danger, but then I looked at the two of them together and figured out the differences.
I see more red and less coral in Heat Wave than I see in Lady Danger, and I think the extra red tempers the former, toning it down a touch. I adore both shades equally but would wear them at different times — like larger-than-life Lady Danger to a cabaret and Heat Wave to the symphony.
As a NARS Semi Matte Lipstick, Heat Wave is also long-lasting, so it won’t leave you in the lurch, but at least for me, it can be drying, especially when it’s cold out, like it is now. To help with that, I try to always remember to prep my lips first with a layer of moisturizing lip balm.
If bright reddish orange lipsticks make you weak in the knees, check out NARS Heat Wave one of these days.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The NARS Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from the NARS permanent collection
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Heat Wave Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Afghan Red Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Mata Hari Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Luster Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Lovejoy Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Amour Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Gothika Lipgloss