So. Majorly. Jealous. You’re so lucky you can pull off every shade of taupe. Not fair!
I love taupe…especially taupe eyeshadows, but for me it can be a tough color to wear. On my warm skin tone, the wrong taupe can leave my lids looking muddy or bruised.
Thank goodness for NARS Cairo ($23) — one of the prettiest, most wearable taupes I’ve found. There it was, sitting like purplish pirate treasure on a shelf during one of Sephora’s Friends & Family sales a while back. I brought it home, and I’ve been reaching for it on a regular basis ever since.
NARS characterizes it as a shimmery champagne rose (isn’t that a pretty description?). I’ve seen it grace a few different lids, and it hasn’t looked the same way twice. I think that’s because it’s complex, and the color varies based on the wearer’s skin temperature (warm/cold) and tone. On one lass it might look like a beige taupe, on another, more of a rosy shade. On me, I think it looks like a violet taupe with a silvery sheen, and sometimes I swear I also see flashes of gold in it.
Super pretty! — and easy to wear, too. It’s one of the products I turn to when I want fresh-looking, dewy eyes.
And Cairo is classic NARS. With its stupendously soft, buttery texture, it almost feels like a cream shadow in a powdery base, and applying it feels like a piece of velvet gently touching my skin.
My favorite way to wear it is to pair it with a berry blush cheek like NARS Sin (certainly a candidate for an upcoming Unsung Heroes post!) and a purplish pink gloss like MAC Cremesheen Glass in Japanese Spring, Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Cream in Purple Haze or Benefit Ultra Shine in Kiss You.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Tabs was extra lurvy when I walked in the door last night after my trip up to Redding. He’s still right here on the floor by my side and meowing a ton! I’m trying to enjoy it while it lasts, ya know, before Edward Scissorpaws comes back.
The NARS Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from the NARS permanent collection
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Star Sailor Duo Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Heat Wave Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Afghan Red Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Mata Hari Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Luster Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Lovejoy Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Amour Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Gothika Lipgloss
- Cairo Eyeshadow
- Red Square Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Damned Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Taos Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Night Star Eyeshadow
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Madly Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Dolce Vita Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Greek Holiday Lipgloss
- NARS Unsung Heroes: The Kalahari Eyeshadow Duo