As I sit and ogle the fabulous fall collections that have surfaced so far, I have to remind myself: it’s still summer! As much as I’m loving the rich golds, dusty teals and vampy berries that we’ll all be lusting after come September, for now I’m still reaching for fun summer shades.
And for me, that means one thing: lip gloss! Here are the glosses I’ve worn the most this summer — the ones that have worked best for a fair-skinned, neutral-to-warm NC25 girl like myself.
I’ve tried to keep my Limited Edition choices to a minimum, but seeing as how I have LED (Limited Edition Disorder; if it’s only available for a short time, I must have it!), I had to throw in a few must-haves. You should still be able to find them all, if you’re resourceful/obsessed like me!
(Clockwise: Lush, San Paulo, Boy Bait, Melonie)
Let’s get straight into my lip gloss weakness, shall we? Summer is made for coral, I am made for coral! It’s bright, punchy, and a virtual beach trip in a tube. When the weather’s hot, I just can’t get enough coral.
- Smashbox Lip Enhancing gloss in Beauty – The first of two LE’s I had to include. If I could only wear one lip gloss for the rest of my life (what a cruel world that would be!) it would be Beauty. A shimmerless pink-kissed coral, it goes with just about everything, and true to its name — really lights up your lips (and face!)
- Vibrant Benefit Ultra Shines in Spiked Punch is a bit lighter than most of the corals I’m usually drawn to. It’s creamy, rather opaque, and its micro silver shimmer gives it an almost 3D look on lips. $18
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen in Lush is perfection in a tube — juicy color, fine golden shimmer that works so well with us warm-toned gals, and the dreamy, ultra smooth Extreme Sheen formula. $28
(From left: Beauty, Spiked Punch, Lush)
Nude for summer? It can seem boring, I know. But nothing pairs better with a bright eye than a wash of a glossy nude color.
- Korres Cherry Full Colour Gloss in Nude is what I like to call a “nude for all”. Bordering on brown and packed with shimmer, it gives you a sparkling neutral base without the paleness that a lot of nudes have (and that a lot of people fear). Plus, the fresh cherry scent is perfect for summer! $17
- MAC Crèmesheen Glass in Boy Bait – The second LE gloss I couldn’t resist including on this list. Boy Bait, to me, is the best milky pale nude around. It’s like the baby bear of the nude gloss world — not too brown, not too pink, but just right. If you love nude lips, I highly recommend a little Boy Bait in your life.
(From left: BoyBait, Nude)
Sun kissed skin + lips that look like you just ate a cherry popsicle = a perfect summer lip! Red in the summer is all about keeping it sheer and yummy.
- I suggest Napoleon Perdis Gloss Patrol in San Paulo to anyone who ever tells me “I can’t wear red!” It’s an opaque, shimmer-free strawberry red, and the slight pink tone makes it very wearable, I promise! $25
- If you’re a red-pro, there’s no better summer red than Fresh Sugar Shag. It’s a sheer cherry red with micro fine shimmer and that delicious Fresh signature lemon sugar scent. It even has SPF 15! $18
(From left: Sugar Shag, San Paulo)
I have a tough time with some pinks. More often than not, I find they’re just a bit too cool on me, so when I find one that works, I snatch it up quick!
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen in Fortune is one that works on me, and works well! It’s got such an intense metallic gold base that it can sometimes look more gold than pink, but that suits me fine. Pair this with minimal makeup and messy, beach-blown hair, and you’re a California surfer girl (even if you live in Iowa!) $28
- Bare Escentuals Buxon Lips in Melonie may just be the most summer-y shade on my list. It’s a tint of sheer fuschia that looks like melted watermelon hard candy. Very fun! $18
(From top: Melonie, Fortune)
(From left: Fortune, Melonie,)
How about it, ladies? Which glosses have you been reaching for most this summer?