In case you haven’t heard (LOL!), New York Fashion Week kicked off yesterday, giving us a look at upcoming fashion and makeup trends for spring 2010.
I like to think the shows are like magic makeup crystal balls that give us a glimpse of what might come to pass and plop down on makeup counters early next year.
Spring still feels like a million miles away, but those runway looks have a tendency to go marketing mainstream.
While flipping through the runway slideshows on Style.com today (SO MUCH FUN!), the violet matte lip in the Vena Cava show caught my eye.
It’s the lip in the picture at the top of the post. What do you think of that purple? — classy yet kinda dangerous? Like something Audrey Hepburn might wear if she were turned into a vampire?
MAC did the makeup for the runway show. Their magicians used lip colors from the MAC Pro line.
For my “real way” look, which is like a poor girl’s runway version, I improvised, using products from both MAC and Benefit.
I like how it turned out, and it’s easy enough to do again.
What you’ll need:
- A foundation, or a light face or eye primer like Benefit Lemon Aid ($20)
- A fuschia lip or eye pencil like MAC Technakohl Liner in Full of Fuschia ($14.50)
- An inky, blackish purple lipstick like MAC Lipstick in Cyber ($14)
NOTE: I ended up using MAC Mattene lipstick in Night Violet instead of Cyber, but it’s limited edition and may be hard to find. They’ve got the same vibe, though.
Swatches from left to right: Benefit Lemon Aid, MAC Technakohl in Full of Fuschia, MAC Mattene Lipstick in Night Violet
Step by step, ooh baby:
- Start by applying a thin layer of foundation or primer to your lips with your finger to mask the natural color.
- Next, line and fill your lips with the fuschia pencil.
- With a lip brush, apply a thin layer of the blackish purple lipstick until you reach a level you like.
- If you think your lips look too shiny, mattify them more by patting translucent loose powder directly on top of the lipstick.
For the full runway Vena Cava experience in your living room at home, just add sunglasses and your best Zoolander pose.
Don’t just stand there, let’s get to it…
Strike a pose, there’s nothing to it…
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,