I wasn’t sure what to call this look… Moody Monday? Or Folksy Fall? How about Affable Autumn?
So I’m leaning toward a combination of all three — an Affable Autumn Moody Monday Makeup Look for a Folksy Fall — because it’s overcast and drizzling right now (it rained hard last night), and part of me definitely wants to be sitting by a warm fire under a flannel blanket while sipping a mug of hot cocoa, while another part of me wants to be walking around outside in the rain dressed in black from head to toe with my headphones on while listening to Joy Division.
Basically, I’m feelin’ it. 🙂
There are three main concepts at work in this cozy/moody Monday makeup look. First, it features a warm matte reddish brown smoky eye. Second, the edges of the winged liner have been blurred. And third, the dark matte plum lip.
It’s a lot of look, for sure, but I think it all goes well together, especially if the weather where you are is anything like the weather is here now. It’s like it just turned full-on fall last night!
Skipping the winged liner or leaving out the falsies would tone it down. Or, you could not line your lower water line with the black liner, and just leave your lower water line bare.
Of course, to go the other way completely and boost the drama, you could go more intense with the brows, or add a gloss on top of the plum lip, or use a gel or liquid liner, which would add even more oomph (I just used a black eyeshadow applied with a wet brush). Any of those tweaks would look super cool.
Oh — that shimmery highlighter I’m wearing in the inner corners of my eyes, down the bridge of my nose, on my upper cheekbones and on the Cupid’s Bow? I left it out at first because I wanted to stick to mattes, but then after seeing myself in my first test pics, I thought it looked a bit flat, so I added the highlighter.
Here’s the makeup I’m wearing in this look…
- MAC Layin’ Low Paint Pot (lash line to brow bone)
- MAC Soft Brown (crease)
- MAC Saddle (lower crease and lower lash line)
- MAC Swiss Chocolate (outer crease and outside of my lower lash line)
- MAC Carbon Eyeshadow (winged liner)
- MAC Smolder Eye Kohl (lash and water lines)
- MAC Rice Paper (inner corners)
- Salon Perfect Demi Wispies (the false lashes)
- Urban Decay Brow Beater (brows)
- MAC Cyber World Lip Liner
- Dolce & Gabbana Matte Lipstick in Dolce Inferno
- Make Up For Ever Smoothing Primer (cheeks, nose and forehead)
- Make Up For Ever Radiant Primer (underneath the eyes)
- MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation in NC42 (foundation)
- Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift 2 (under eyes as a color corrector)
- Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Eclair (under eyes)
- Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Pecan Pie (on cheeks, around nose and mouth and along jawline)
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Tan (powder)
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,