- Don’t do *full frontal!* No, not the nudity kind, LOL! 🙂 Try a 3/4 pose. If you’re standing, turn slightly and rest your weight on one foot. If you’re sitting, angle slightly to one side or the other. Doing so angles the body, tips the shoulders a little and angles the head just a bit. It adds dimension to your pics and looks more interesting and natural than a straight-ahead pose.
- Lean slightly toward the camera. It adds interest, dimension and looks natural, too. Think of having a long neck like a giraffe. Tilt your chin down slightly to hide any double chin/s and to block the camera’s view up your nostrils.
- Learn, like Tyra says, to smile with your eyes. Think coy and demure, like a cougar luring her prey to come closer by acting harmless and innocent. Huge ear-to-ear smiles focus attention on your gums and can make you look like you’re squinting.
- Think BAM! Practice a picture pose trigger. Models are taught to change their state of mind in an instant by developing a trigger. When they’re about to have their picture taken, even if they feel like crap, they fire their trigger and BAM! — great photo. One trigger you hear a lot about is called the rear cheek squeeze.
Don’t laugh, but it’s just like it sounds — you squeeze the cheeks of your rear end together and hold them that way for the shot. 🙂 Try it in your next picture.
- Keep looking up! That is, don’t look directly at the lens; look slightly above it. It brightens the eyes in pictures and makes you look more vibrant and alive.
For even more tips on how to look your best in pictures…
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,